Uma Thurman's kids name - what a mouthful

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Chase

Reaction score
Rosalind Arusha Arkadina Altalune Florence Thurman-Busson

They call her Luna for short I guess. I feel bad for the kid when she has to tell someone how to spell her legal name later on in life. Or when she fills it out on applications for anything, I doubt it'd fit on them

:throwup:

But I guess to each their own.

Last edited by a moderator:
Each of my kids have five names--their first name, three middle names, and our last name. They're not quite as long as Uma's kid's name, but it's not that far off. And multiple names are quite common in some cultures. I agree it's a mouthful, but I have no problem with it.

What's the significance of having 5 names???

I think a middle name can be helpful to distinguish one John Smith from being confused with another person named John Smith.....However !!! When the first name you give kid so bizzare or horrendous names, who would think there would be any confusion or chance there would be another person with the exact same first and last name...and a hyphenated last name to boot?

My name is Richard Lunder. Not a neccessarily a common name, but I have been able to find about 3 other people named Richard Lunder in the USA....I don't know who they are, or if they are related, but not one of them has the same middle initial of "N".

I just don't understand the purpose of having so many middle names when your first or last name is so unusual that nobody is going to confuse you with someone else with the same first and last name because nobody else exists with the same first and last names.

...Rich

Rich, again, I think it varies by both culture and individuals. For some, it's a means of honoring relatives and acestors. In others, it's a means of honoring saints and other religious figures.

In my family, my wife Michelle had our daughter (technically, my step-daughter) before we met. Her name was Emma Elayna Rose Sabistina--"Emma" was a name she liked, and both "Elayna" and "Rose" are honoring relatives while also names she just thought sounded nice together-"Emma Elayna Rose" just seems to roll off the tongue nicely, especially when she's in trouble. ;) (Emma's bio-dad wasn't in the picture at the time, which is why she had Michelle's last name.)

When we got married, we decided that both Michelle and Emma would take my last name, but that they would take Michelle's maiden name of "Sabistina" as an additional middle name. This is actually a rapidly growing practice, for women who get married to have their maiden name become either their new (only) middle name, or to have it become an additional middle name. So Michelle became Michelle Lee Sabistina Verkuilen, and Emma became Emma Elayna Rose Sabistina Verkuilen.

When we had our sons, we decided to follow suit on each of them, choosing a "name we like" as the first name, honoring relatives with the first two middle names, having Michelle's maiden name be a third middle name, and then the Verkuilen last name. So that's how Connor Henry Edward Sabistina Verkuilen (Henry is my dad's middle name, Edward is Michelle's dad's middle name) and Adam William Russell Sabistina Verkuilen (William is both my first name and my paternal grandpa's middle name, and Russell is my maternal grandpa's first name) were named.

Bill

p.s. Both Michelle and all the kids frequently skip the "Sabistina" when asked for their full name, unless it's in a situation like court papers. And when you skip the "Sabistina", and look at the initials--I think you'll see why my personal nickname for Connor is "Chevy". :)

When my wife was pregnant with our son, I wanted to name him Joseph Allen. Joseph is my dad's middle name, and Allen is mine. She wanted him to have his own name, so we compromised, Daniel Joseph Allen Batts. He does NOT go by Dan, Danny, Danny Joe, or DJ.

Bill V,

I certainly understand that people will name children to honor a relative. I am named after two of my uncles. Richard after my mother's brother, and my middle name Neil is for the son of my grandmother's sister (Great Aunt).

However, I think it's a bit overkill to try to include every relatives name in your child's name.

My daughters have middle names after relatives...My oldest daughter has a middle name of Marie which is also my wife's middle name. My youngest daughter has a middle name of Ann was my wife's sister's middle name (both are deceased)

I just think when kids are given so many names, it kind of looks like a ranking order of that relative's significance and probably has less honor the further down the list of names it goes. Then we get into the issues of relatives who's feelings are hurt because they either feel left out or not as important because they name was used so far down the list???:cry:

...Rich

Rich--p.s. my wife is nearly 100% Italian--which I suspect has something to do with her desire for her kids to have multiple names. ;)

I'd say my family uses relatives' names. My grandfather, father and myself are all named the same first and middle names, just a Jr. and III. My wife and I have discussed whether there will be a Hugh Maize Darnley IV. Conclusion pending.:bwahaha:

My wife did drop her given middle name when we got married and uses her maiden name as her middle name. No hyphenated or double middle name. For business purposes, she uses her full name since her maiden name provides more name recognition in her hometown for her as an interior designer.

Rich, we didn't include every relative's name. Nor was it a desire or objective. Nor is there any ranking going on.

Nor is there any need for us to justify it to you. We like our kids' names, our kids like our kids' names. Those are the opinions which matter on the subject, not yours.

And frankly, if you feel what we did is so horrible, I can only imagine what you'd say if you walked into pretty much any grade school in the country and looked at the first names most parents are going with these days. By comparison, having a couple extra middle names of the more-traditional variety is quite tame.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm definately not against using first or middle names to honor family. My middle name is my grandpa's first name and my other grandpa's middle name as well as our oldest sons. Bill you are right though, they're are definately some very odd first names out there recently. I guess that's kind of what I find more odd about this, not just the 7 different names.

Latest posts