UltraGuage (What's The Verdict?)

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swshawaii

Staff member
1st Gen Owner
V6 Engine
2 wheel drive
Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
ultra gauge by chris , 8/19/2010 12:32 HT (Original Post)

Reading the replies a few bought this at $39.95. (Now $59.95)

Any positive feedback:supercool: or negative issues? :cry:

Last edited by a moderator:
It works,,,,, not real impressed on how to navigate pages, but it still tells you a bunch of stuff. All in all,, I like it better then the scan gauge I had. But I will say,,, If I had paid 100+ $$ for it,, I'd be pissed.

its an ok unit i have had a p1507 code come up that i didnt know i was getting cause it wasnt turning the cel on and the other scanner wasnt picking up. im getting an advage of 18.2 on gas miles. the trip odometer is a little off. engine coolent temp is good

its not a scan gauge but it is a nice unit to have in the truck if u dont wanna spend alot of money.

im going to be making a trip pulling my camper about a 200+ mile round trip ima see how well it performs on a long heavy haul.

im happy with it in all

Personally, I love it. The menu is a bit of a PITA, but once you have it set, I love it. Having 6 gages per screen and three screens to choose from is really cool.

I like the ability to have it set off an alarm if my tank gets too low or engine temp gets too high.

I can also calibrate the fuel consumption.

Overall, I prefer the size over the ScanGageII. I love the beating heart and the open/closed loop to tell you if it is in open loop or closed loop mode. The beating heart lets you know it is working.

The build is not as nice as the ScanGageII is. It has a cheap plastic feel to it, but once it is set, minor adjustments are not needed.

Overall, I give it a 8. I give the ScanGageII a 5, simply because of its small screen and only 4 gage capibility. I give the UltraGuage an 8 because the build could be better and front mounted buttons.

For the price, it becomes a 10. If it were $200.00, I would give it a 5.

For the right price, it is one hell of a deal.

Tom

Is there any verdict on the display color? Can it be changed, or can you get it with red backlighting?

I've already had to live through one "blu looks kool" phase, back in the '70s. Once in a lifetime of that is enough. Twice is becoming unbearable...

I don't think the color can be changed, though personally I love the blue color, but I was never into color matching.

Tom

Surprised they had almost 3500 units remaining when the introductory price expired.

My dilemma is if I should "hurry up and wait". Repeat sale by popular demand? LOL

Excellent info guys, thanks. :supercool:

I bought one for my Civic, and I like it. Once you get the screens set up for what you want(and the default ones are good really all you need), it's a nice little unit. However, it does not pick up all the things that the Scanguage that I have for the ST does. I like the tranny temps that the Scanguage displays for the ST, and the Ultra Guage does not. The UltraGuage feels a little cheap and lightweight, but it does do the job. Not sure how it will work for pulling codes, and I hope I don't have to find out either. I know the ScanGuage is good at it.

As mentioned, the display color is really muted, and doesn't bother me at all. It can't be changed as far as I know.

For the money(39.95) it's worth it.

Tranny temps with a ScanGage? Are you sure about that?

I have 2 original ScanGages and one ScanGageII and neither of them have tranny temp.

You might want to double check that.

Tom

Yup. It does do tranny temps. I have the ScanGaugeII with the Xgauge commands.

See http://www.scangauge.com/support/xgauge.shtml

or http://www.scangauge.com/support/pdfs/XGAUGE.pdf Scroll down to the enhanced data.

That's actually the reason I got one. I wanted a tranny temp gauge, as well as a bunch of other things, and the ScangaugeII did all of that.

I was hoping to get a readout of external ambient temp on the UltraGauge on the Civic, but the Civic doesn't have that sensor... I haven't hooked the Ultragauge up to the ST yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tranny temps with a ScanGage? Are you sure about that?

I have 2 original ScanGages and one ScanGageII and neither of them have tranny temp.

ROFL, I mentioned this during the initial debate on this thing. Doesn't seem like I missed out too much in not getting one though. I was going to, until some kind soul here posted that UltraGauge was being very insidious with a "39.99" offer that really cost 60 bux :(

Thanks again for that warning.

I don't think the color can be changed, though personally I love the blue color, but I was never into color matching.

I don't get the blue fad, or color matching either. Red lighting is used in everything from cars to jumbo jets to prevent night blindness. It's the only safe color to use for night driving. Safety is far more important than fashion or fads.

Suffice it to say, if I come across a bunch of gerbils in a miniature cargo van with flashing blue speaker bezels, I will run them down! :bwahaha:

How do you add Xgage to the ScanGageII?

For older units of the ScanGuageII, you have to send it back to them for an additional $25, and they will add the newer software to the unit. When I purchased mine, it already came with it.

I've got both a SGII and now a UG. I like both, but am much more familiar with the SG since I've had it for 18 months or so. The SG has more options to select from that will show up on the display vs the UG, but both are vehicle dependent as to whether the vehicle sends that info thru the OBD connection for either to pick up. I like the way the UG looks over the SG IMO, 6 functions vs 4 is better on the display as well once you figure out how to move the guages around on the UG, a bit confusing but if you use the instruction manual its not all that hard. The blue display on th UG is ok, looks better than the dot matrix on the SG, haven't driven at night with the UG but you can adjust the brightness or leave on auto I think. The red display on the SG goes well with the red display in my Mazda 3, so no issue for me. you can change the display color on the SG if you want, but not an issue for me. Overall, the less you pay for the UG the better you will like it.

Latest posts