Ubuntu Linux ???????

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaRue Medlin

Reaction score
Rose's HD is going down the beaten path so I have to replace it. She has a good pc, so what I was thinking,,, since all she does is cruise the net, read e-mail, organize and send pictures from her camera, and some word processing,,, what about trying Ubuntu Linux. But have NO CLUE what it is or does... Could I have some help on this. I've heard of Linux but Ubuntu Linux ?? Is it the same thing? Will her hardware and software still work correctly? Also, what about Sun's open office suite. Is it any good? Thanks for the help...

LaRue,

If you like tinkering with computers then you will probably LOVE Ubuntu.

It is easy to install. The Ubuntu.com site has a download for the install CD image. The nice part is you can "try" before you install. Just set up the computer you wish to try Ubuntu on to boot from the CD, if needed, put the CD in the drive and boot up and let it load. It takes a few minutes to load Ubuntu from a CD, but you will see if all your devices, (network card, video card, etc) work before you install. It will run a little slower in this mode, but you will get an idea of the experience. If you like it, install it. When booting you get an option to either install or to run from CD.

Also, OpenOffice is a fine product.

The biggest hurddle to overcome with Ubuntu is a slightly different way to install programs. All your major web plug-ins (acrobat reader, flash, etc) all install pretty quickly from web links, you just have to make sure to install the Firefox/Linux versions of the plugins.

Other than that, I say, give it a try.

TJR

my dell is about 5 yrs old and Rose's hand built is about 4. no biggie,, just reload Rose disk image from the beginning. She has got so much "needed stuff" she's just going to have to start over...

I took my two 6 year old HP laptops and am running Ubuntu 9.04 one was upgraded from 8.10 and the other was a clean install. The one that was updated is dual booted as well with XP Pro. I'm leaving it around to make sure i don't "NEED" it for anything. So far so good.

I read some ware that if you chill the hard drive (refrigerator) that it may tighten enough to reinstall and transfer some data. Might be worth a try.

Try ubuntu Lts 8.04. ( Have been using ubuntu since 2006 ).Is your system 32 or 64bit .Make sure you have the right version. If you want I will send you a "factory" CD .So far the only thing I use Bindows for is my Accounting program.......soon to end.....UBUNTU RULES

Latest posts