TT/Shackle Tips

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandon Poorman

Reaction score
Getting ready to do the TT/shackle lift. Going to put 265/70/17's on the ST after its done. Thinking about ordering tires from Tirerack.com and having my cousin mount balance and align for me. Does anyone have any tips and tricks other than the project? Should i put the cam bolts in before he aligns it or will it even need them?

Thank You

ive read 2" torsion twist will cause accelerated wear on your suspension system.

does it do it no matter to what extend you raise it?

or is 1.5" a good amount without worrying about future damages?

When I did my TT, the camber was way off, you could see it with your eye. I installed a camber kit and got an alignment.

Some people swear its fine to do the TT, some say its a terrible idea. I went with the cautious view first, thinking I could always do it later. I thought the shackles would make it look funny without lifting the front, but I decided to leave it that way for a couple weeks to see how I felt about it.

4 months later, I still haven't done the TT and still think it looks fine. Plus, I have the stock ride quality and don't have to worry about any of those issues listed or premature wear of parts. And the only cost has been the shackles.

Just my unworthy opinion, but if the tires fit without the TT, I'd say give it a couple weeks to see how you like it.

Whatever your decision, please post pictures

I have read that as long as you don't go over 2" you wont have problems with damages, and there are a lot of members on here who have done it and are happy with it. So 1.5" should be fine. That being said, there is a chance with almost ANY change you do from stock it could affect your truck negatively, so there is always a chance.

Well one of my millwrights at work is making me the shackles off of Clusterpup's (thanks again) dimensions. I'm going to crank the front for 1.5 inches. I know the back will clear the tires and i'm pretty sure with 1.5 up front it will clear the 32. I'm getting general grabber AT 2.

Its gonna look nice when your done, be sure to post up some photos. Make sure you get nylock nuts for the shackle bolts.

arturo said:
ive read 2" torsion twist will cause accelerated wear on your suspension system.

does it do it no matter to what extend you raise it?

or is 1.5" a good amount without worrying about future damages?

I've done a 1.5" TT on one Ranger and one Sport Trac (my old one). No problems. Had a ball joint crap out on both of them but that'll happen even if you leave it stock. Dealer fixed both of them on warranty and never said a word about the torsion bars being turned up or the shackles on the Sport Trac. As long as you keep it to 1.5", 2" at most, it will be okay. Sometimes you need the cam bolts, sometimes you don't.

Latest posts