Trouble Starting

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Turner

Reaction score
Job 1 2001 Sport Trac with ~108,000 miles. MAC intake but no other performance mods.

Problem first started last winter on colder mornings, usually once truck was sitting for awhile. Would turn the key to start the truck, engine cranks, but then shuts off without turning over. Second attempt to start was usually successful, but the aftermarket radio resets and I had to reprogram my settings (time, station, equalizer, etc.). Since then, I have moved to Florida, but the problem has become more prominent. Truck sits 3-4 days without being run, but same issue when I try to start it and continues to happen even after I have been driving and making short stops.

Have not changed plugs/wires, replaced fuel pump, starter/ignition, or alternator.

Battery was replaced about 6 years ago. Serpentine belt replaced about a year ago. Cleaned IAC and did Seafoam treatment about 3 months ago.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Thanks in advance.

I would lean towards electrical. You state you haven't replaced the battery in 6 years. Take the truck to Advanced Auto/ O'Reilly/ etc. have them test the whole charging system. Could be battery, alternator, starter, I'd get them checked before spending money on replacing items. Keep us posted.

It sounds like you do have a battery problem, and maybe a second one as well.

I am thinking your fuel pump is weak.

To test it, turn the key one and off about 8 times without cranking the engine, let the key sit in the run position for about 1 to 2 seconds them back to off then back to run ect ect ect. Then try to start the Trac. If it starts right up, you need a fuel pump OR your fuel filter is plugged big time..

Thanks for the suggestions. Will go to Advance to test the battery and other electrical components. My first thought was fuel pump as well, but thought it was weird that the radio reset. I've tried turning the key to on position, leaving for about 2 seconds, and then cranking with no success. I'll try the more extensive procedure next time and see if it works. Fuel filter was replaced with most recent oil change. Thanks for your help.

Our tracs get electrical gremlins from weak batteries. Do a search and you will find some had the same as you. And some are really weird. Mine were. I had a whole list of things acting up. Even though the trac still started.

Update: Took it to Advance Auto today to test the battery and charging system. Battery test showed that the 875 CCA rated battery was measured at 193 CCA. Starter test failed due to the bad battery, but the charging system output was normal.

New battery installed on the spot and truck turned right over, no problems since. Good call guys and thanks again.

Our Tracs seem to be more battery sensitive than most vehicles for whatever reason...

In your case, the rating of 193 CCA probably would have been an issue in any vehicle though..

Glad you have it fixed.

Alright another update in this ongoing issue. Battery replaced about six weeks ago and haven't had a problem with starting since. Drove it last night without any issues. Go to drive early this afternoon and truck doesn't turn over. When ignition is turned to accessory position, dash lights come on and chime is heard, but continue to turn the key and nothing happens. Electric door locks also have become inoperable and key fob no longer works (aftermarket system installed). Back to square one, just looking for ideas of where to look for solutions.

Bad battery, alternator, starter, spark plugs? Something other than electrical?

It sounds like a bad electrical connection. Try moving the steering column up and down while trying to crank the engine. The early tilt wheel is known to come from the factory with insufficient slack to allow the wheel to tilt and it pulls on the wiring harness in the steering column. The wires can pull out of the multiswitch connector or even break.

I suspect you have the same problem I had with my 2001 Job1 which was a loose connection in the steering column when the wheel was tilted.

If the wires are not broken, just be sure all the wires and pins are securely seated in the connector and then pull up a little more slack into the steering column so that the wheel can tilt the full range without pulling on the wiring harness and connector.

This tilt wheeel pulling on the wiring harness on early Gen-1 Sport Trac is such a common problem, that I am amazed that so many of the old timers here forget to mention it. The multi-switch connector contails all the wiring that goes throught the steering column including head lights (dimmer control) cruise control, horn, wipers, ignition, starter, turn signals, and brake lights. They all go throught the multi-switch connector wiring harness in the steering column and they are all are prone to very intermittent erratic behavior when the steering wheel is tilted and it pulls one the wiring harness.

...Rich

Latest posts