Trimming the wheelwell

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt DeFina

Reaction score
OK, so i decided to put some spacers on, to push the wheels out a bit (1.5" front and 2" rear), and now, where it wasn't rubbing before on the front, i now have to do some extra trimming.. (Jerry i think you mentioned this at one post)

The problem is... where it's now rubbing against on the back of the front wheelwell is METAL (i trimmed all the plastic off already)

the question is, has anyone trimmed off this metal area, including the bolt that seems to be there. and has that trimming caused any problems itself? should i reposition the bolt further back? do i need to weld a plate there for strength?

Any advice appreciated.. (no i don't want to go back to no spacer in front) ;)

I have done MASSIVE TRIMMING on my ST up front. I had to use the spray expandable foam to keep dirt and debris from splashing onto the inside of the door. By inside I mean where the wire loom goes into the doors. IMO I would use a smaller front spacer.

Ah, good call on the expandable foam, will check that out.

so no issues w/ trimming the metal? nothing comes loose or turns into a rattle? :)

also, my new wheels don't have that little "indent" where the existing bolts fit into like the stock wheels do, so a smaller spacer, means trimming the wheel bolts by 1/4" too, and i'd still rub on the wheel well with any articulation and turn so the trimming of the metal is almost manditory anyway.

Ok, the bolt needs to stay unless you knotch that whole seem and weld in a flat piece of steel. I have the same rubbing issue on mine because I put 1.5" spacers on the front and back (didn't want to go wider and put too much stress on seals/ bearings). I took a 3lb. hammer and folded in the tab where the bolt is. I'd take the spacers off, turn the wheels to see how much space you have to play with. Take a floor jack put it under the tire at turn and lift it to see how much room is left. I'd get 1"-1.25" spacers for the front of mine but don't have the money right now.

To be honest with the torsion bars you are not going get much articulation anyways. The ST suspension only has about 2" of upward travel before you hit the bump stops. And if you remove the sway bar you may get about 3-4" of drop. Take the t-bars out and go with a coil-over setup like I had then you can get articulation.

Latest posts