Transporting Television During the Winter

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snooze

Reaction score
I have just finished with my masters degree in architecture. Now I can spend more time on my truck :). Anyway, my question is this: I am moving from my apartment in Pullman, Wa to a new place in Seattle, Wa. The temperatures outside are ranging between 5 - 15 degrees F. I was planning on putting the TV in the bed of the Trac and driving about 5 hours to my destination. Should I avoid having my LCD Television in these temperatures? Has anyone heard of a TV not working properly after being in temperatures below freezing?

MYTH 3: LCD Monitors Freeze at Low temperatures:

Well, at some point, everything will freeze! But the liquid-crystal paste used in LCD displays has a different specific gravity than water, and its freezing point is much lower as a result. I have left consumer and professional LCD monitors out in cars overnight when temperatures dropped into the lowteens with no adverse effects the next day. (Be nice to the monitor and let it warm up to room temperature before use.)

Keep in mind that many of the displays in todays cars use LCD technology, in particular car radios and CD players. When was the last time you saw one of those crack when left out in cold weather?

I thought this was the case, but I wanted to look it up before I spit out some bs that I wasn't sure of :blink:

Definitely right about the LCD displays in cars. I have two in the truck and I didnt even think about it.

Thank you for the article.

Yep, my GPS has been in temps below zero with no ill effects. The screen does get foffgy though from condensation at times. I never gave a second thought to plugging it in though. The fog goes away after it is on for a few minutes. :)

Check your spec in the manual if you still have it. It should list operating and non-operating temps(most do list this, but not all). Just let it warm up for at least a few hours before you plug it in and you should be fine.

Just let it warm up for at least a few hours before you plug it in and you should be fine.
This is good advice for ANY electronic device going from cold to warm environments. Condensation can kill......

Just ask one of my techs that took a $125k gigatronics sig gen from an airconditioned space outside to use on a system and plugged it in. After the smoke cleared, he had to come explain why this happened.....:angry:

GP

I would recommend buying one of those large plastic storage bags. They are big enough to fit one of those fake Christmas trees in. I found some at a UPS store near my house. This way you wont get any snow in it and you will keep out all of salt and dirt from the road.

Thank you for all the advice. I had the original box and original plastic wrapping. Put it in the bed of the Trac and went for it. The TV was in the cold for 6 hours. I will be able to set it up after the Holidays and then we will see if anything is wrong.

I thought about putting it in the cab. It might have fit, if I had not modified the back seats :)

Happy Holidays!

Unless it got wet, as long as it's now in a heated space, you should be fine. Merry Christmas!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah... If you leave it indoors and let the temperature and humidity equalize, it should work fine.

Latest posts