Transmission

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt DeFina

Reaction score
OK, it seems my Trac now has some transmission issues. (automatic)

Between gears it's started to hesitate, can really feel the gear change and momentum pushes me forward in my seat, then back again when it engages the next gear.

Also not sure if this is related, but when at a stoplight, i can feel something trying to engage the gear, and hear some relay clicking on at same time, even with my foot on the brake, the truck tries to move forward, so it feels like a stutter.

I assume I'll have to head to a transmission shop to check this out, but wanted to check here to see what others thought first.

Sounds as if you have the 2cnd to 3rd flair. Common on the gen 1 trac. Especialy early years. The fix is a upgraded valve body seperator plate and gasket. Also new epc solenoid.

The other thing Is posibly the torque convertor solenoid trying to lockup. You should not llock up until in motion in the higher gears. Torque convertor locks to a 1 to 1 ratio(no slipage) to save gas.

I have the same problem starting to happen to my '01 ST. There is a hesitation between gears. At first I thought low trans fluid. Fluid level seems fine.

EddieS'04, can the fixes be completed at home or better left to a trans shop?

Jeff and Cityboy, if the Tranny needs work, I'd leave it to the professionals. One thing you can do first is get the tranny fluid flushed. If you don't have a flashing OD light, may just need the fluid changed and to get the most fluid out is to flush it. If it still persists, then have a professional look at it.

Latest posts