Transmission TSB

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blksn8k

Reaction score
Can anyone confirm that 8-24-4 is the latest TSB for the V8 6-speed transmission "bump" issue? Also, I have an Xcal2 performance tune installed. What sort of problems could that create and will I have to return it to stock before the dealer can do the reflash per the TSB? By the way, here is a link to a somewhat fuzzy copy of TSB 8-24-4.

Page 2: http://s145.photobucket.com/albums/r213/stein78/?action=view&current=tsb02_resized.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I just had the latest TSB/flash done to my ST, 08-24-4 about a week ago.

I also have an XCAL from Bama Chips performance tune installed.

The Service Tech didnt mention it as if it wasnt even there.

The trans works somewhat better, no bump, but it still takes off in second gear if you dont come to a complete stop and sit still for a second or two. I will say this TSB is better than the first one I had done.

Will it last, I guess time will tell.

I absolutely love my Trac, everything about it is just right for me except this sometimes perfect, sometimes screwy transmission.

Thanks, that's exactly what I wanted to hear. I would gladly put up with starting out in second gear now and then if it gets rid of that damn bull moose center punching my tailgate every time I stop.:rolleyes:

If I may ask, how many miles do you have on your Trac?

Reason I ask is the transmission issues seem to get better the more miles it had. Truthfully, by the time I took it in last week, the tranny was working pretty smoothly, I have 29K on mine.

From almost exactly 10K miles to around 18K miles, it was terrible about the bump thing. I had the first TSB/Flash done at 12K miles and it only lasted about 2K miles and the bump and other things were back. The service Tech re-did the first flash two more times (3 total), each time lasting about 2K miles. The third time, the bump came back, but gradually went away to the point I rarely noticed it.

2-3 wks ago, I read there was a new TSB. At at first, I was going to ignore it, not take my truck in. I went ahead and had it done, and things are really pretty sweet.

I have bought 6 new Fords from my local dealer (Mac Haik Ford, Houston, TX) in the last 15 years, they know me well. They are less than 2 miles from my home and when something isnt right, they see me often.

Just passed 32K. As I recall, I never had any real issues with the transmission until somewhere past 10K. I have been able to tolerate it while waiting to see if the latest TSB really works. Most owners seem happy with the results and I only have a few thousand miles left on the bumper to bumper warranty. Anyone know if this issue falls under the bumper to bumper or powertrain warranty?

Anyone know if this issue falls under the bumper to bumper or powertrain warranty?

Since the tranny is part of the powertrain, I would say it would be under the powertrain.

Of course, I could be wrong.

I am sure some of the "know it all's" here know the right answer.

Tom

Folks,

Timely thread. I have 17K on my 2007 Trac V8 and just this week began experiencing the "hard bump" at stop. Never had a problem before this.

I will be taking it to the dealer and thanks to this forum I already knew about this problem even though I had not experienced it until now.

Hope this latest TSB is the final cure.

Dealer refused to change the fluid in my '07 V8 Trac last month. Said the factory ordered the dealers to not replace or flush transmission fluid until the Tracs have over 60,000 miles.

I smell something here.

I have 44,000 on my 07 4.6 Trac and now have noticed a little bumping when I stop. Changed tranny fluid at 34,000 Redline synthetic. I thought the tranny was having age problems and maybe abuse problems. I found out never down shift manually to first unless truck is at a complete stop! Also I drive in the Mtns of AZ towing a boat sometimes, also use the overdrive lock out for braking on grades and in general every time you give it a little gas going at highway speeds it down shifts on its own the first shift is very slight then the next shift is a little more and finally you are up to 70mph. On the hills; try and drive a steady speed it shifts all the time unless very lightly loaded one person or doing 80mph plus the engine is then turning enough RPM to develope the horse power needed to make the hill without down shifting. I kinda worry about the longevity of this transmission it shifts about twice as often as the wife's CTS

What are the rest of you noticing?

Thanks, Bill

Latest update: Picked the ST up today after work. As for the transmission TSB, so far so good but I have only driven it a few miles. I also had the TSB done for the cold start serpentine belt squeal. That involves replacing the belt and idler pulley. I had them replace one of the drivers door hinges as it was sticking and making a loud clunking noise. They also did the recall on the tire valve stems. At 32,329 mi it feels like a brand new truck. They didn't even mention the Xcal2 program. However, they did say it took about three hours just to perform the 8-24-4 TSB. Everything was covered under the bumper to bumper warranty, including the transmission TSB, which I found a bit surprising that it was not under the powertrain warranty.

Latest posts