Transmission trouble light

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Kaiser

Reaction score
I have a leak in the tranny form the transmission bulkhead connector and noticed the tranny was acting wierd no indicator light though.

Any ideas why the light didn't come on?

thanks for the help Bill

bksptr,

The tranny light is supposed to only light if it detects a difference in gear speeds. The lets the transmission know if there is slippage or the gears are shifting properly. However, that does not always work and many people have had transmission slippage called shift flare, yet the light does not come on....and when it comes on, it often means the transmission has already had a major problem.l..often called the blinking light of death.

If you know the tranny is leaking fluid, don't wait for the light to come on....get it fixed ASAP. As for cost? Just depends on what they think or find wrong?

...Rich

bksptr,

The tranny light is supposed to only light if the sensors detects a difference in gear speeds. The light lets you know the transmission if there is slippage or not shifting properly even before you may notice the slipping. However, that does not always work and many people have had very badtransmission slippage called shift flare, yet the light does not come on.... When it comes on, it often means the transmission has already had a major problem......and why it is often referred to as "the blinking light of death"

If you know the tranny is leaking fluid, don't wait for the light to come on....get it fixed ASAP. As for cost? Just depends on what they think or find wrong?

...Rich

There are 67 trouble codes that relate to the transmission. Out of those 67 there are 7 that relate to incorrect gear ratio...juat saying

Sometimes an error must occur 2 consecutive times and under some exacting conditions before it will cause the light to illuminate.

I would assume that they are pulling the mechatronic assembly (valvebody) to replace the seal for the harness but at $850 that is extrememly high. The only other thing that I could think that they are doing is actually replacing the mechatronic assembly but at $850 that sounds extremely low.

I had the mechatronic (TCM) replace on my Gen2 V8 (6R60 trans). The part was $1554 new at the dealer. + $525 labor. Less than 2 weeks ago.

No lights. Just real bad/random shifting between 4th, 5th, and 6th.

Lou...

I don't want to go off track here from the original post; but my '08 is making a banging sound when lugging along and you very gently add throttle. It's like it wants to shift down but won't. I can't tell if it's the trans or torque converter (or something else). If you add more throttle it will go ahead and shift down and the shifts seem fine then. I need to see if any codes are popping up. No lights so far but it does seem to be getting worse.

PRM. Take it to the dealer and have them troubleshoot it. From what I can tell, they have a capabillity to really analyze the tranny and find out what is exactly wrong. Might cost you $200.00 but well worth it. Once you find out what is wrong, you can make your decision from there whether to repair yourself or have it done.

As an added note. They also said that I had two plugs that were fouled and that although they fixed the trannny, I would still have a random jerking like the trans was bad until the plugs were changed. And that was true. I changed them and now all is well. I'm just putting this out there just so you know that it may not be the tranny.

My '07 has 91K miles. The plugs are supposed to be changed at 100K. They are those extended 2 piece ones (4.6L). I broke two of them while changing them out. I found a on line video on how to use the special tool to remove them.

Lou...

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Lou, good info. I am taking it into a trusted shop tomorrow. I will have them check the plugs as well. I am definitely open to the idea that other factors could be at play beyond the transmission. My '08 is at 104k.

Also, good point on the removal tool. I probably should get one. Or just have them do it!

Autolite's procedure.

The extraction tool. I was able to borrow one. You really have to be careful with this. It costs a lot. Not sure if it's worth it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yKIDxSnsTk

Lou...

Just a follow-up. Noises turned out to be a miss-fire. Replaced all the coils and the plugs, runs like a champ. Really only need to replace one coil, but I decided to do all of them and the plugs at once. 104k+ miles, those plugs were ready. They said that if the engine is completely cooled off those plugs come out easier. They only had one give them a hard time. Sorry to distract from the original subject. Back to transmission lights.

Latest posts