Transmission/Tow update (07 ST)

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmy Lavoie

Reaction score
I'm updating to the post listed below:

# 2 things going on with the V-8, anyone else? by Denise HayesMember Profile, 10/29/2007 16:31 ET

Just got back from a 300 mile tow and everything went well.

Someone posted earlier that their transmission was shifting between 5 and 6 all the time. Well, mine did the same (with Cruise Control on). When traveling at 60mph, towing right around 4,000 pounds, I had this erratic shifting. I simply took cruise control off and everything went fine.

Also, I got around 14.4mpg while towing. I'm pretty happy with that.

Throttle position, engine load, RPM, speed, and temperature all have a lot on the way the transmission shifts...

the transmission sounded like it was "hunting" for OD, the combo above was just not right for what you were doing....

Most of the time I never need to take the OD off.... i have on the rare occasion as needed..

Todd Z

I agree Todd. It was definitely searching for the right gear. I left OD on the entire time and just turned off Cruise.

You should not run OD when towing.

Read your owners manual. It will tell you everything you need to know.

Tom

Nothing changes the gear ratioes...

It just does not let the transmission go into 6th...

It still locks the converter...

Todd Z

Just Jimmy,

I was one of the guys writing about the shifting all the time. I also tow a boat 3500lb in the mountains of Arizona most of the time I have od off unless on the flat. Ford has set up the 07 v8 to have just enough power developed from the engine to get it down the road lightly loaded to get the best gas mileage possible ie. the lower the rpm the better the gas mileage but then it shifts all the time to get the rpms up to get the power it needs to pull a load or go up a mountain or just accelerate. The days of the v8 big block torque are gone accept for the 250 or 350 and who wants that kind of gas mileage.

Just my 2 cents, Bill

It shifts down quite a bit when using the cruise control and NOT towing. I've found that to be common with new cars, not unique to ST. An FJ Cruiser does it much more.

I guess I'm in better shape - my terrain is relatively flat (south Florida) - no real mountains or hills at all. I'm reading all the issues people are having with towing and poor gas mileage - I'm lucky.

Jimmy, I also got rite around 14.5 MPG back in May when I drove from Dallas to Myrtle Beach pulling a trailer loaded with motorcycles. My estimated trailer weight was about 4000 pounds.... I initially expected a little better gas mileage, but all in all I can't complain.

FJ is 239HP/278lb-ft torque. It actually runs quite well, I just noticed it really likes to shift down when using cruise control.