transmission sputter

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matthew Runals

Reaction score
Alright so im thinking this is a transmission issue, every now and then I think it might be engine sputter. When I'm driving, around 50-60, at times the car is very jerky. Almost like the transmission doesn't know what to do. It only happens when I'm not accelerating. When I accelerate the shifting is fine. what makes me think it could be the engine is that a few months ago I had a engine miss fire code that eventually went away by itself. I have to change my trans fluid soon, should I try adjusting the EPC?

More info please: Year of your Trac, miles, 2WD or 4WD, how you maintain it (i.e., Minimal to Anal). Also, never heard of an EPC. What is that? General rule of thumb is that there's nothing electronic on modern cars than can be adjusted; the engine and transmission control modules can be reprogrammed by dealership or aftermarket vendors. From what you're describing, I'd start with a transmission filter and fluid change, then cleaning the throttle body and taking a look at the spark plugs.

I don't believe this adjustment will help, almost sounds like a TPS issue I once had. Tranny codes?

Last edited by a moderator:
Its a 2wd, 127K, 2005. The throttle body is very clean, do that once a year as well as the ICV. Maybe I should try some seafoam or some other engine cleaner. I just changed the tranny fluid and the sputtering has continued so it can't be the tranny filter. I'll have to look up the TPS, never heard of that. I'm guessing it does not mean Toyota Production Service :) Swshawaii, what do you mean by tranny codes? Like the model or something?

Last edited by a moderator:
When you feell the sputter does the OverDrive light flash? When the PCM detects a slip in the trans the O/D light flashes. If the trans was slipping I would think you should see an increase in engine RPM at that point also. Doesn't sound like a tranny issue to me. Does the check engine light flash when you feel the sputter?

have you changed plugs? if they are original, you need new ones. on light throttle, old pug will make the engine sputter

How many miles on your fuel filter? Same question on spark plugs. Engine air filter in good shape? You mention a recent trans fluid change; did you replace the transmission filter then? I'd pull a couple of spark plugs to check condition; replace them if they're worn. Add a bottle of injector cleaner to fuel tank (lots of choices here; I use AMSOIL P.i.). Most auto parts stores have an OBD code reader; stop by and ask them to check your Trac for codes.

FORD Transmission DTC - Diagnostic Trouble Codes. OBDII P0700-P0790

There have been some issues, with some members. Something simular was the torque convertor lock up solenoid....They werent getting any codes or flashing OD light.

One members ford dealer didnt even know. He went to an independent. The tech knew exactly what it was.

sorry for my late response. I change the plugs and wires when the truck hit 90k. No engine light, nothing coming on then. Now I have a check engine light on and the code is saying I have a bad coolant thermostat. I'm going to run to some engine cleaner through it and check a few of the plugs.