Transmission - Solenoid - Rant

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob Beil

Reaction score
I don't post very often, I mainly read topics etc, search for stuff I need but I just wanted some input and to rant.

I have read so many articles about the 2007 V8 Transmission and it's problems, it is ridiculous.

I was driving a couple of days ago and it felt like i wasn't shifting into 6th, like the tranny was pulling to hard on the highway. Thought I was paranoid at first but it kept doing it. So I took it into the dealership this morning. Sure enough they say i have a bad Solenoid that needs to be replaced for $800. Of course I am out of warranty and did not get the extended warranty, teaches me I guess. Just passed 41K miles.

I can't believe that this v8 is so bad.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I started calling around to get other prices and no one has yet to replace one which makes me nervous to get it done anywhere but the dealership.

Last edited by a moderator:
We had this done a couple of weeks ago!! But the 07 have an automatic extended warranty so ours was done at no cost! I would find your warranty book and be sure NOT TO PAY ANYTHING YET! I will find mine and post more later, or email me.

Edit: The powertrain warranty coverage period is extended from 3 years/36000 miles to 5 years/60000 miles! with no deductible!

Take both battery leads off. Touch them together. Put them back and see if the trans will relearn how to shift. If it doesnt. Find a good independent shop. They will most likley be half the cost of the dealer. These trans have problems as you know. Make sure who ever does the work, is not guessing and garantee that is the fix.

Wow, was this warranty period documented somewhere or sent out to people. When I called and talked to the dealership he said he looked it up twice and it was 3/36,000.

We got a seperate warranty book sent directly from Ford, letter dated Feb 2007. When ours happened, the dealer knew about the extended coverage and it was never an issue.

ohhhhhh !!!!

not another gen2 v-8 tranny problem :eek:

i can't believe they are trying to rip you off (oh, i am so surprised).

as mentioned, do not pay a penny.

this crap has been going on and ford needs to take responsibilty :angry:

i can't believe some members are ok with it, and say that they just get used to it.

totally unaceptable. enough for me to get another vehicle

I would find another dealer. If they are that incompetent. Not knowing about the Ford warranty, Sheesh...:wacko:

I would find another dealer. If they are that incompetent. Not knowing about the Ford warranty, Sheesh...

Maybe they do, and were hoping he wouldn't find out. Then they could collect from him, and from Ford when they billed Ford for the same repair. :blink:

Rob,

If you have records of at least 3 repair attempts to this tranny problem, and the first starts within the first 12 months / 12k miles and the last while the vehicle still under warranty, then contact a lemon law attorney and tell them that the terms of settlement you seek is a vehicle buy-back with loss damages (loss in any value due to depreciation, replacement, and loss due to inability to use...whatever damages the attorney and you can come up with).

You want/need to get out from under the vehicle. Then either buy a new V6, or go with a Ridgeline. Haven't heard of any tranny issues with those.

TJR

Rob,

My dealer told me the same kind of thing one time I took it in......they said they needed to tear into the tranny to see exactly was was going wrong.........

I did the battery thing instead and had no further probs.....my truck continues to shift great.

If you haven't tried it yet, you might want to give it a try before looking into someone tearing your tranny apart.

So I went to the dealership last night afer work and brought the document that states that 2007 Ford vehicles have this new coverage. Guy kept saying it isn't coming up in the computer, he says maybe if i actually type in the part number for the repair it will come up, still nothing. I have to call Ford tomorrow to find out if it is covered he says. I said you let me know who i need to call to get this done.

As somone else posted maybe I should go to another dealership.

I have read about the battery terminal rest, but is that really going to fix a bad solenoid also. I hav to be honest I don't know what a solenoid does but if it is bad how does this fix it. I thought the battery terminal thing was to rest the learning of the transmission....

A solenoid is an electric version of stepping on a pedal or pushing a button. You put electricity to a solenoid and it pushes. Usually it pushes or pulls a plunger to change the fluid flow through the transmission. The battery thing can fix the problem if the computer isn't telling the solenoid to push at the right time or by the right amount. If the solenoid really isn't bad, that is. If it's really bad and not working, you need a new solenoid.

Wow, I definitely think I am getting the run around now. I hate dealerships. They are now telling it is not the solenoid it is a Insulator Pad in the Transmission and this is not covered under warranty. I wish I knew more about repairs. Anyone know what this guys is talking about, an Insulator Pad?

The solenoid is not a pad. It is not a normal wear item that wouldn't be covered under warranty.

If your powertrain warranty is still in effect, then the solenoid is covered if that is the issue.

Call a lemon law attorney if you have all the paperwork I described above.

The F in Ford, for this situation should stand for what they can go do with themselves and your ST. You have the power to make them deal with you if you want. Lemon law attorneys love this stuff, and in most states you will pay ABSOLUTELY NO FEES.

TJR

Latest posts