transmission slipping

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eric huskey 2

Reaction score
I just purchased my 2nd trac. An 02' with 123,000 miles. The transmission slips when it changes between 45-50 mph, under normal driving. When I floor it, it runs through the gears fine. I'm going to drop the pan and change the fluid and filter. Should I do the epc adjust or not? I wonder if this might make it worse. Any help is appreciated.

Sure thing Ken! I will just try the filter change. If it don't help I will take it to a shop.:wacko:

I changed the filter and there was 2 pinhead size metal things in the pan. They look like a very small watch battery. Anyways I haven't driven it yet but it's looking fishy!

I drove it all over town today and It shifts good. I will change the fluid again soon to help reomve some more of the old.

Last edited by a moderator:
downsouth,

Same exact thing happened to me with my 2000 ranger early this year. I was slipping b/w 2-3 unless I floored it. I was at 115K miles. Was getting up to almost 3K rpm before it made the switch to third gear. I was told by a ford tech that the problem was the trans valve body and recommended dropping the entire trans and re-working valve body/torque converter. He said the reason for re-working the torque converter was merely for my own good; that chances are it would go soon also and then would have to pay to drop the whole trans out again. Its what eventually led me to buy an ST. I still have the Ranger, just haven't gotten around to doing any work. It drove fine, but I would tread carefully and address the issue. I'm curious to see what you find out, let me know what happens if you don't mind.

Latest posts