Transmission Slipping or Is it ?????

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Tan

Reaction score
Hi Guys, My Trac has finally had its first tranny problem, not to bad at 111k though, It seems to only happen when being floored. If i am gunning it , then lift my foot , then slam the pedal again, the cars seems to go into nuetral until the revs go back down , then it starts driving normal again. No noise , clunks or warning lights or codes. It seems like it goes into nuetral (or no gear) instead of a shift, then when the revs settle, it goes back into gear. I brough it to a tranny shop, of cours ethe guy wanted a complete rebuild. Any advice appreciated....I was hoping to drive my Trac all the way to 250K

It seems to only happen when being floored. If i am gunning it , then lift my foot , then slam the pedal again

Stop doing that. It's cruel and unusual punishment.

Okay, Sorry-this may have come out sounding a little sadisitic on my tranny but this is the usual driving style when you are trying to merge or have an overtaking situation only.

Way back at aroiund 30,000 miles, I now have 104,000+, I put a jug of Slick-50 tranny juice in my '01 Trac. So far, I've had no slippage, shift flair, or any of the other tran problems I've read about on this site. Maybe it's just good luck, maybe not, but that's just a thought.

""Your profile is not complete. Hard to help without knowing what year.""

Some of the early Tracs, had valvebody, seprerator plate gasket problems. Also epc problems. Sounds to me it is slipping from not engaging as it should. At that milage it may need a rebuild. If so make sure the place knows of the valve body upgrade issues. Get an good independent. Much less $$ than ford.

Have you ever changed the fluid or have the 30K flushes done?

David Tan said:
Sorry-this may have come out sounding a little sadisitic on my tranny but this is the usual driving style when you are trying to merge or have an overtaking situation only.

Really??!!??!!

Respectfully, I'd say that what you describe may very well be "your" usual driving style but it is not "the" usual driving style.

I'd submit most people hardly ever floor their vehicle, then let up, then floor it again under any driving conditions; whether they are merging, overtaking or whatever.

It's just not something most people do, or for that matter should be placing themselves in driving situations that they have to do. If made a habit, expect bad things from your vehicle.

TJR

Last edited by a moderator:
X2 what TJR says. In my opinion that would be like dropping your tranny in neutral flooring your vehicle and droping it in gear while driving down the highway.

Have you ever had the tranny flushed? Earlier models called for a tranny flush every 30k regardless of use. With over 100k it could be that it's just starving for fluid and the tranny filter needs changed...if you're lucky.

If you're not lucky, well, most late-model Ford trannys in every vehicle they make won't last much past 100k if they're not flushed regularly.

Latest posts