Transmission question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim L

Reaction score
I love this site. Been checking it out since I bought her back in 2001. So much good info!

OK, to my question,

I did and have done mostly highway miles to her current 175k miles with very limited towing. I have only had a Jiffy Lube do a transmission flush at 90K. I have actually had zero issues with the tranmission to date. (Makes me feel wierd reading all the transmission issues on this site) My new hobby is saving every penny I can think about. I am targeting to drive her to 250k (3 more years) and buy a new Ford. I have read on this website to change the filter and ATF every 30k miles. Obviously, I am not a good listener.

The cost of the Motorcraft ATF filter and any mainstream Mercon V doesnt bother me. And I like wrenches so I am all game to open her up.

My question, do I even bother since all has been OK at such a high mileage? I have read these transmission can be a little picky, don't want to rock the boat.

To date, the ATF is slighty dark red, smells like oil, looks clear.

Thanks for your wisdom

Tim

Tim, I don't see any problem with you dropping the pan and changing the filter. While you are doing it do the drain plug install too. I changed my filter just after I got the Trac. I installed the remote filter on mine at 136,000 miles or so and haven't seen any problems after doing it. I finally joined the 150,000 club this last summer. Look in the project section under maintenance for the filter project and drain plug._Ron

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts