transmission problem

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Warren

Reaction score
My transmission is not shifting properly. I runs up high RPSs before shifting and sometimes not until I let off the gas. I noticed the over drive does not work and the cruise control in intermitting. I've flushed the transmission fluid and changed the filter. I checked the oil and it looked perfect, no metal chips or flakes. Has anyone else had this problem? Any fixes?

Joe,

Transmission problems were very common in early model Sport Trac's.

The most common problem is the Shift Flare that you described. This can be caused by several problems...

1. Sticking valves in the valve body that causes the shift solenoids to act sluggish and often they wear out. The cure is to replace/repair the valve body and the offending shift solenoids.

2. The gasket between the two halves of the valve body is leaking and causing slipping and sloppy shifts. The cure is to replace the valve body gasket and insure that the bottom half of the valve body is absolutely flat before installing it with a new gasket.

These solutions will only work if they are done early and the excessive slipping has not worn the clutches and bands....If they clutches are warn to much, you will need a complete transmission rebuild.

As an added note, Some 2002-2003 Sport Tracs were recalled for Ford dealers to add a quart of Friction Modifier to the transmission fluid. They claim that a supplier delivered the wrong blend of Mercon-V transmission fluid to the Assembly plant in Louisville, KY. This recall only applied to specific Sport Tracs based on build date, and only if they had specific symptoms???

...Rich

Problems are legion for the 5R55 transmission family. Search the 'net and YouTube and you'll see them. You're probably in for some serious repair.

My fix was a bit different. 04 ST here. Had the flare. Purchased SCT X3 when I had low miles. Around 15k. Now at 186k... still running pretty good. I heard most explorers transmissions go out around 150k and transfer cases around 165k. I had a problem with my O/D not working for a time between 180k and 185k. Found the fuse had gone bad. Fuse was also connected to me not having rear back up lights for almost 2 years.

Good luck with your repair.

Latest posts