Transmission issues- ST vs Explorer

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
New here still researching on buying a ST. A few questions. I find hundreds of complaints about transmission problems with the Explorer (esp. 02 models), yet find only a fraction of them on the ST's. Is there a difference or is it just that many more Explorers? Is this problem commom to all STs or just a certain year or assembly plant, etc. thanks for any advice.

Seamcg,

It is a common problem. There are just more Explorers.

Per 100 vehicles there seems to be about the same number of early-mileage tranny issues whether it be an Explorer, a Sport Trac or a Mountaineer.

TJR

I understand there can be issues with the 5R55e transmission all the 2001-2005 Sport Tracs with automatics were equipped with. I haven't had any problems with mine in 165,000 miles, but others have. Do a search for "transmission" and tell it to look through all posts. It will give you plenty of reading.

Both have the 5R55E trannys.

I think those of us that properly maintain our trannys have far less issues than most JMO.

Thanks for the responses. Is there any way to tell if its a 'bad one' ? any serial numbers or manufacturing dates or anything?

I am looking at buying an 04 with 60k miles, he says he has not had any issues with it. I have only seen pics so far and all looks good.

Last edited by a moderator:
My 02, 81k, is probably not far off from tranny work. I get the random O/D blinking light and have for a number of years. I have an appointment next week to have it checked out. I'm hold out hope that it is not a major issue, but a few members noted that waiting this long might mean bad news vs. better news.

thanks for the comments eveyone. The seller says he had the tranny serviced last year for tht 60k service and has not had issues. He is in Iraq right now so it is not driven much though (his dad is selling it for him)

I checked back to many of the previous threads...WOW!, maybe buying a ST or Ford in general, is not such a good idea

thanks for the comments eveyone. The seller says he had the tranny serviced last year for tht 60k service and has not had issues. He is in Iraq right now so it is not driven much though (his dad is selling it for him)

I checked back to many of the previous threads...WOW!, maybe buying a ST or Ford in general, is not such a good idea

Check with other websites for other makes. They all have problems. Most people don't ask questions about a vehicle when it is running ok, only when it is causing problems. We have occasional threads about how bad it looks if you read the threads, and check in if you haven't had any problems at all. A lot of us haven't had any problems at all. I have 165,000 miles on my Trac, and haven't changed anything except normal maintenance items. I wouldn't be worried at all to get in it right now and drive 1500 miles to wherever. I'm sure it would get me there.

Had my tranny flushed at 30K miles. 85K on it now and works just fine. Of course, I'm an easy driver and I suspect some of the problems are caused by the drivers who think that because the word "Sport" is in the name that the Trac is some sort of high performance vehicle. The 30K flush is a good idea to remove the early wear-in particle matter. After that, service every 30K miles really isn't necessary but doesn't hurt anything.

Latest posts