Transmission Hesitation

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cynthia Grant

Reaction score
Hi!

My 2003 ST had a new transmission installed around 120k miles. Now it's at 207K miles and I'm noticing a slight hesitation before it shifts -- when it's accelerating and approaching 40 mph (not sure if that's 2nd or 3rd gear). When I say slight, I mean 1 or 2 seconds. Just enough to catch my attention. Also, it does not do it every time. I have not figured out the pattern of when it happens.

The O/D light of doom is definitely NOT flashing (that was my first indication of the tranny problem last time).

Should I get this in to a transmission shop right away? Or is it normal for an older vehicle to hesitate when shifting? Thanks for any suggestions!

Probably the 2cnd to 3rd gear flash. Get it to a shop, there is a fix. The vavle body gasket or the shift soleniods are bad. about a $500 fix.

Considering how long ago the redesigned part was made available, I would think that, by now, no transmission shop would rebuild (I assume rebuild, not new) with those defective parts. No?

At almost another 100K miles since the new trans was installed I would think you should get the trans service done and while there have them check it out, it could be just needing a service and nothing serious.

Latest posts