Transmission flare 2001 4x4 job2

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thomas Clark

Reaction score
I noticed my transmission seemed to not be shifting right this weekend, this transmission was replaced by the dealer about 35,000-40,000 miles ago (in June of 2005). The o/d light starts to blink after a while.

I found 2 threads that seemed to pertain to this : "transmission 2-3 shift help?" and "2-3 Flair Repair (little long)".

Does anyone have any other ideas on what might cause this?

Mine was the valvebody. Had that checked thanks to others' posts here. Then found an honest tranny shop that did the work for around $550. Things have been fine ever since, praise God. That's better than a $2,000+ rebuild/replace.

If I'm not mistaken, many others have had the same problem with this same cause.

I had the same problem on my 01 4x4. It eventually would not go more than 30 mph. I had to find a used replacement tranny and get it overnighted from San Antonio. cost me about $800 to get it replaced. Mine was caused by the valvebody too. The mechanic said it was something about the exhaust running right next to the transmission and burning out the valve..

All 2-3 shift flare problems with the Sport Trac's are caused by the valvebody, but to resolve the problem you should replace the valvebody and the solenoid packs.

The problem is cause by the electic solenoid valves sticking in the valvebody. The sticking delays the shifting which increases wear on the bands and clutches.

The sticking valves cause the solenoids to weaken and even when there is a new valvebody installed the weak solenoids can still cause the shift delay, or it can return much faster.

My advise to any Sport Trac owner is to get the trasmission flushed every 20K miles. It appears that even a little bit of dirt in the fluid will cause the valves to stick and then the real problems begin.

...Rich

Well thanks for the information,

I took my ST in to a trani shop that services it and also rebuilt my front end (and one of my Scout 727s as well).

They said they had just had an earlier Explorer in there with a leaking valve body gasket and blown separator plate.

As it turns out it was the pressure controller, I think they said they were checking it with the ohm meter and it was not testing out correctly. So they replaced the pressure controller and gaskets,, some sort of imporved shift kit thing,,, serviced it,, $500 later it runs like a top.

Of course this trani was just 17,000 miles out of warranty,, and it had been serviced on time. The trani was replaced by the dealer under warranty, as was the front pinion seal. That would be the front pinion seal on the differential that went out 2 years later because there was not enough fluid in the pumkin. Got to love it. (I know enough complaining already).

Anyways I fully expected to find out I had a blown valve body gasket and a bad separater plate,, not this time.

Latest posts