transmission dipstick

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is under a metal screw cap on the trans case on the passenger side of the truck next to the catalytic converter and on a seam/lip of the trans case.

When you unscrew the cap you will see a stubby yellow dipstick. Unless you see a leak you really don't check it much. After you do it once you will not be too excited to check it often!

Ditto! Just take it in to your shop every 30-40K miles and have a trannie flush done. Be workin' for me. Let them do all the checking. Bob

WTF? So I'm to climb under the truck and pull a cover off next to a hot cat?

You got it! And the owners manual is nice enough to remind you that the transmission must be at operating temp to get the reading.

Just did mine and added fluid to it after my radiator replacement. only lost about 1/4 of a quart doing the change. (If you have to add any fluid to it in small quantities, I recommend picking up a small pump that screws right onto the quart bottle. Otherwise you need a nice length of hose to take out the side of the truck.

Many OEMs are removing dipsticks from transmissions and engines. They want us to come to them for service. A DIYer can change this fluid, but it'll require some thought and determination. I took my 08 STA to Ford two weeks ago for trans fluid flush - and they couldn't do the full service because they didn't have the proper fittings for flush machine. Go figure. Ended up with pan drop, filter change and refill. Transmission runs smoother with the AMSOIL fluid I brought. In future I plan to use my evacuation tool to remove what's in the pan, then replace with equal amount of fresh fluid. Doing that once or twice a year should keep my transmission in great shape.[Broken External Image]:

Latest posts