Transmission Dipstick part # HELP

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CountyMounty

Reaction score
Started a new post hoping for some quick help as my truck is still on ramps waiting to finish my tranny fluid/filter change. I discovered a hole in the dipstick tube, rusty out, and I would like to replace it before using it again. I cant find the part number for the dipstick, either OEM or preferably something aftermarket that I could get at a parts store (no Ford dealer nearby)

Only number I have found so far is Ford F77Z-7A228-AA but everywhere says it only good up to 2003, is there really a difference?

If it is not falling out of the trans. I would clean it and sand it good. Use the JB Weld putty. Roll a piece of it large enough. Make it into a piece that is flat. wrap it arounf the tube. In an area that covers above and below the hole.

It will hold. I have used it on return hydralic lines that have no pressure. There is no pressure on the dip tube.

Thats probably what I will try Eddie if needed, thanks for the suggestion, I can not find the part available anywhere (unless the 2003 will in fact which I would have thought it would but all sites dont indicate that). I am not convinced there is actually a hole all the way through the tube, it is very rusty for sure (just like everything else after 8 years of Maine winters) and you could definitely fluid leaking near where it enters the tranny. However today, since I really needed/wanted to get it back on the road at least for the weekend, I put new fluid in and watched and did not see any dripping from the stick. So I am thinking it may be an issue with how it connects I think it just pushes in right? Anyway since the pumping out fluid method did not work my plan is to drain the fluid using the newly installed plug and refill since I still have 6qts on hand. When I get ready to do this I will look at the dipstick issue more, maybe try to take it right out to get a better look.

Any suggestion on how long I should wait before draining, refilling the fluid. Should I let it mix together real well for a couple hundred miles or will it not matter.

Eddie thanks for answering all my recent questions I am trying to get everything done on the ST while its "mud" season and not much else to do around here, lol.

Latest posts