Transmission...boom

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Ronayne

Reaction score
Last week was a terrible week. After reaching 100,000 and purchasing new tires I completely ruined the excitement of enjoying the next few years.

On my way to class here in tampa I was stopped at a light near Busch Gardens. as the left hand turn light went green I began to accelerate, got up to about 35-40 mphs maybe and the RPMS went flying to about 5-6. Felt like I was in neutral, a let off the gas to pull over...."CLUNK, CLUNK". it was clearly the sound of the transmission. I'm not a car guy so I figured I either heard it tear up 3rd or completely go. Luckily the car got me the 2 miles i needed to go to make it to class and a flat bed pick her up. My transmission guy said he had three codes. something about pressure, torque and how i demolished 3rd gear. After not having the car -thrusday through saturday- and setting myself back in the debt area I have a completely rebuilt transmission. I plan on ahving the car completely serviced for everything possible at my next marker (in about 500 miles) So please help me create a list that I can bring to my mechanic and say...check this.

so far after digging around and finding some ford maintenance guides i've come up with this-

inspect ball joints (4x2)

" steering linage, suspension & driveshaft

engine air filter

fuel filter

lubricate 4x2 wheel barings, replace grease seals and adjust

inspect wheel ends for endplay and noise

accessory drive belt

replace spark plugs

replace PCV valve.

I'm sure there are things in there that are general inspection stuff. but anything i should definitely check would be appreciated. thanks guys/gals

that is a very nice sport trac. unfortunately i have experience somewhat of what you did and im freaked out and paranoid now. the other day after work me and my buddy were headed out to eat and i was tryin to be a bad ass and act like my ST had a chance against his 06 BMW M3 so i popped it in neutral revved it up a few good times and then i switch it back to drive and i accelerated but it didnt go, it just revved up. so i let off the gas looked down to make sure i wasnt in neutral still and then gave it gas again, still nothing, just revved up the RPM's. so i change back to neutral and then drive but still nothin. i sat there about 30 seconds til i decided to put it in reverse then back to drive and finally it shifted. no loud clunk or noise but i have became very paranoid now. :boohoo:

i have a 2001 job 2 with 159k and so far it hasnt gave me any issues, running strong still

Last edited by a moderator:
Strange...I've had 2 Chevy transmissions blow up on me, but never an Explorer. The first one ('94 4x4) started to have problems shifting from first to second when it was cold at about 350k, but still wasn't dead. Hope it works out.

Arturo,,Have tou checked the linkage adjustment at thr trans? Been knownto slip and go into gear.

"DISCLAIMER, ALL THIS INFO IS POSIBILITIES"

BrianR,

Unfortunately, you cannot predict most breakdowns. You can only do your regular maintenance and hope for the best. Keep your eyes and ears open for any unusual symptoms that you never noticed before so if a problem develops, you can get it checked out before it becomes a major issue.

...Rich

Latest posts