Transfer case question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam Chittick

Reaction score
I've been browsing this site a little here and there for about a year now since I bought my Sport Trac. Anyway, I was installing a fuel tank skid plate today, and happened to look over at the transfer case and notice that the wiring and transfer motor were all exposed, as well as 4 poles with threaded holes on the backside. Is there a cover I'm missing for the back side of this, or is it normal? I have the 2001 Job 2 by the way. I'm hoping to do a little off roading eventually, so I'd like to figure this out. I can get pictures if anybody is unclear what I'm trying to describe. Thanks in advance!

It is normal for the wiring to be exposed, as long as it is all still bundled.

The 4 bolt holes cast into the aluminum are for a counterweight used as a vibration damper. I think on the Sport Trac, the damper is mounted on the front of the transfer case. On my old Ranger, the damper was mounted on the back where the 4 holes are. The damper covered the wires and half of the shift motor.

Thanks! I was considering fabricating a skid plate of some sort to protect the wires and motor, but wanted to see if I was missing a part that I could buy first.

I've slogged through all sorts of mud and general 'froading, more so in my old Ranger, and never had a problem with the wiring. If anything, another skidplate might cause mud to linger up in there instead of getting washed out.