Transfer Case Motor Replacement

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim L

Reaction score
2001, 4x4, Job 1, 192,000 miles

Was engaging the 4x4 today, for my monthly massage of the system. Noticed it wouldnt go into 4x4 High right away, took about 1-2 min, the 4x4 High light would flash on then off a few times, then finally stayed on. Then I put it in 4x4 Low and that worked just fine. Then I put it back to 4x4 High, and that worked, and then back to 2wd. But I was still in 4x4 high or low. Couldnt tell, no lights on the 4x4 indicator were illuminated. I turned her off, and restarted and I was back into 2wd.

I read past numerous posts of the 4x4 chip and transfer case motor discussions. From what I can tell from experience today, it appears replacing my transfer case motor is probably the leading cause of my issues. Does anyone agree or disagree, and is replacing the motor that difficult? It looks like it is just a few bolts and a electrical connection??

thanks in advance, Tim

Had the same issue this past winter in all the snow mine got stuck in 4wdlow and a shutdown and restart cured the problem and it has not reoccurred since. I also try to exercise mine once a month whenever the roads are wet. My guess is that the solenoid in the motor sticks or jams and that power down and re-power somehow resets it.

REplacing the motor is very simple. If I remember correctly it is only 2 or 3 small bolts that hold it on. And then a plug. I bought a new motor from Oreilleys auto parts that has a lifetime warranty for about 60-70 bucks. Mine shot craps on me when I drove 1300 miles to Moab last year, went to my 1st trail and no 4wd!!! I was pissed... So I took it out and shifted it manually with a wrench for the trip.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts