Transfer Case Fluid

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blac Trac

Reaction score
Its time to replace my Transfer Case Fluid in my 2005 Trac. My manual says MERCON only. Is MERCON V OK? What is everone else using with success?

Last edited by a moderator:
Do not use in transfer cases where MERCON ATF was previously recommended

swshawaii,

Thanks for the Motorcraft Fluid Data Sheet Link. That confirms that FORD still is advising not to use MERCON V in Transfer Cases where MERCON was recommended previously

* Do not use in transfer cases where MERCON ATF was previously recommended

What should I use? Any help please?

Use the original Mercon ATF (1.3 Quarts)

2005 owners manual (Pages 244-247)

Transfer case

(4X4)

Motorcraft

MERCON

Multi-Purpose

ATF

XT-2-QDX MERCON

MERCON and MERCON V are not interchangeable. DO NOT

mix MERCON and MERCON V.

I called 2 of my local Ford Dealers last week and both told me MERCON is not available from Ford anymore. They only sell MERCON V. What is everyone else using in their Gen 1 Tracs?

I have used what is labelled dexronIII/mercon. It is the only thing I could find. It figures that we need a specific fluid, and it is no longer made.

After doing some availability searching at my local PSs and looking at on-line spec sheets, I'm leaning towards VALVOLINE DEX/MERC ATF as it is a mineral based ATF supporting MERCON requirements. I also looked at VALVOLINE MAXLIFE DEX/MERC ATF but it is synthetic and while it supports MERCON requirements Valvoline says it also supports MERCON V. To me that kind of reads like its OK to use MERCON V in place of MERCON which is what I was trying to avoid so I guess I'll use the regular VALVOLINE DEX/MERC.

I use Mobil 1 ATF in mine. It is rated for both Mercon and Mercon V use. Put it in both my Trac's t-cases and the Ranger I had before, no problems.

"Motorcraft Transfer Case Fluid

Usage

For use in transfer cases driving front axles on all-wheel-drive (AWD) and 4x4 vehicles

Not for use in automatic transmissions, manual transmissions, power take off units (PTU), fluid couplers or AWD vehicles equipped with a transaxle

Features

Premium-quality fluid for Ford, Lincoln and Mercury transfer cases

Manufactured with high-viscosity index, premium-quality, hydroprocessed base oils and specially designed performance additives

Provides increased protection against deposit, rust, corrosion and wear

Maintains proper viscosity at extreme temperatures

Recommended by Ford Motor Company

Available in cases of 12 one-quart bottles"

Note that the section for Mercon V says:

"Not for use in transfer cases"

Latest posts