trans problem

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Bartman

Reaction score
Hello my 2007 trac has a problem with the trans when I am moving at between 30 and50 mph and let off the gas and then get back on the gas sometimes the trans just spins and if you get on and off the gas it will take off again but it doesn't happen all the time and it just started so I had the trans fluid changed but that didn't help and it seams to be getting worse so I was wondering if anyone has any idea what could be wrong and what I should expect to pay to get it fixed thanks John

Two things: First I'd go back to shop that changed the fluid and have them check the fluid level. You can do it yourself, but if you just paid for service I'd go back. Second, you may need to go to a Ford dealership and pay for a scan/update of the transmission software. How many miles on your Trac?

Did I misread the original post? It states that the transmission work was performed to correct the problem, but did not. If I read this correctly, there was no difference after the transmission work and, it seems, that this should not be a concern.

Correct yardsale I had the fluid changed to see if it would correct the problem but there was no change and it doesn't do it all the time , yesterday on my way to work ( 30 miles ) it acted up about three or four times and today on my way to work it didn't act up at all thanks for the ideas keep them coming

Please tell us brand name of fluid just put in your tranny - it should be on the invoice. It needs to be Mercon V equivalent. Also, did shop drop the pan and change the filter? If it were me I'd go back to this shop and review invoice with manager - while fluid level is checked.

... I had the fluid changed to see if it would correct the problem but there was no change

There was no difference from before the transmission fluid was changed and after. That tree has been barked up.

I think Vic is trying to point out that the wrong fluid or low level won't fix the problem if the problem was originally tired fluid or low level. There's no use moving on to expensive fixes until you're sure your easy/cheap ones are checked off the list.

Confirmed the the correct fluid was used and the fluid level is correct at first I thought it might be a torque converter problem because when you let off the gas and get back on sometimes it just spins but it only seems to do it somewhere around 40 mph so it seems to be in the one gear does this seem like one of the poster said maybe something a ford dealer could check and diagnosis Thank any ideas help

Latest posts