Trans flush verse drop

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alan Peters

Reaction score
I have 105K miles on the trac and need transmission fluid service. Some say flush, others say pan drop. I usually have the trans service performed every 25K to 30K miles. Should the pan be dropped this time around?

Big Al

There are pros and cons for each method. The pan drop doesn't replace all the fluid. The flush doesn't replace the filter. Given your mileage, I would go for the pan drop to get the filter replaced. While that is done, take a good look at the condition of the fluid. If suspect, plan on a flush in the near future as well.

all you need is a flush with the right machine that replaces all of the fluid. My '02 has never had the pan dropped, as the filter is just a screen to keep the chunks out. I have flushed it 4x in 230,000 miles, tho..

Last edited by a moderator:
On my '04, I droped the pan and installed a drain plug. I drive a few hundred miles and drain and replace the fliud. 20k later I do the same. the pan filter is not a screen, but a cloth that is non restrictive.

So I installed an external filter That catches the fluid after the radiator, before the air cooler. I change it 5k to 6k.I have cut 2 filter open. it is definitly catching wear material the pan filter doesnt'.

My trans is in good shape. I dont expect I will have problems. Below is the link to my project.

STanner, I have to waive the BS flag on your post about the trans filter. It's not a screen - there is a filter media that's designed to catch the small wear particles from the clutch packs. That's what you'll find accumulated on the pan magnet if you were to drop it. Your technique may work for you, but never changing a transmission filter is something I'd never do, and you'll be hard-pressed to find a professional mechanic who'd recommend neglecting it.

It may be, as I've never pulled the pan off of the trac. But, in the other 4 fords i've recently owned going back 23 years, all of them had screens, no "filter". I guess i'm guilty on that one. Still, mine has never been off. with this new info, perhaps I should replace it.

You've got 230K on your ST and no issues with what you are currently doing? If it ain't broke don't fix it. Considering the mileage, I'd wait till its broke and a rebuild is required. Seems to me the rest of the truck will die before that tranny will.

STanner, I have to waive the BS flag on your post about the trans filter. It's not a screen - there is a filter media that's designed to catch the small wear particles from the clutch packs.

Vic,

The in pan filter is not that good. The next time I change my external filter. I will cut it open. And post the pic on here. I dont find metal,but I do find clutch material. IMO that will help the valvebody. From sticking.

At about 100K miles I would recommend dropping the pan and changing the transmission filter.

Then you can simply have the transmission flushed every 25K-30K miles, but drop the pan and change the filter every 100K miles.

I disagree with Eddie. The filter is too thin to trap and hold much dirt. If it did trap and hold the debris it would clog up and need to be changed every 1000 miles or less. The transmission filter is only designed to block larger particles from recirculating in the fluid. People keep comparing the Transmission to the Oil Filter, but the Oil filter is designed to trap and hold combustion by-products and uses a large filter surface to trap and hold dirt. The surface area is expanded by pleating the filter media to increas the surface area.

Transmission filters only block the larger particles from being recirculated in the fluid and do not have sufficient surface area to trap and hold the large volume of friction material that will be generated as the transmission bands and clutches wear. (It may appear to be filter material, but it only acts as a fine screen) If it actually trapped and held the particles like an oil filter, it would be hopelessly clogged in a very short time. You would need to change the filter every 1000 miles or so or it would not be able to flow enough fluid to cool and lubricate the transmission and failure will soon follow.

Most of the damaging particles are metallic particle and held to the bottom of the pan by a magnet. The non-metalic particles fall harmlessly to the bottom of the pan. Any particles small enough to get by the filter will not harm your transmission and a flush will remove them. You do need to change the filter and clean out the pan about every 100K miles. Yes, a few particles may become trapped in the filter, but the majority of the particles fall to the bottom of the pan.

...Rich

My 2?:

I have 220k mi.; I have the filter-screen BS-flag thing replaced and a full fluid flush every 100k and the fluid flushed between. I view this as inexpensive insurance. For some reason, I have had no transmission problems.

Good advice Yardsale. For anyone interested the link below takes you to performance tests of AMSOIL products. The one for Las Vegas Taxi transmission test is applicable for this conversation. It's a downloadable .pdf, or contact me if you'd like to have a printed copy mailed to you at no charge.

I see it this way with my external filter. I replace it with a MC/FL-1A every 5k. The 2 I have cut open. Had traped friction material. But it was no where close to being restrictive pluged. When I dumped the can and spread out the filter media. Dirty but not blocked. If I was having a restrictive flow problem. It would showup in my WOT shifts.

We all know that the 5R55E, solenoid actuated valves. Have close tolerances.

I wont use a K&N or any of the finer media filters. But an fl-1a @ $3 every 5k I believe is cheap insurance. I have had other cars that if I had an external filter. The trans would have not lunched from sticking valves. The one I remember best, was. The manual override slap stick torque-flite. In my '73 340/CUDA.

Why doe's Ford install an external filter with a trans' change, or rebuild? Despite they flush the system. And sometimes change the converter also? The size of their inline filter is half the surface area of the FL-1A.

I beleive in my method for this 5R55E. If I turn out wrong. I wont lie. I will report it to the members. My driving habits are going to create more wear than some. We'll see...:argue:

Eddie,

Why doe's Ford install an external filter with a trans' change, or rebuild?

If you are getting clogging of the filter even with your inline filterin nearly 5K miles, then my guess is that you are having some very severe wear on the clutchs and bands, or Ford's standard tranny Filter is not designed properly. Perhaps Ford designed the filter or tranny to fail as soon as the warranty expires...:grin: I know Ford did that with some 1960's engines....They designed the heads with very small drain holes so the oil stayed in the heads and did not drain back to the pan fast enough...that starved the enigine of oil....and the end result was engine failures.

I have not changed a Transmission Filter on any vehicle I have owned in about 15 years. and that includes 2 Sport Tracs. I only did Transmission fluid flushes

Even my Mercedes only had a fluid flush by the dealer after 50K miles....They don't drop the pan or change the transmission filter.

You may be right about the sticking solenoid valves in the 5R55E....but then again, I think it is more of a design flaw since so many people have had the sticking solenoids and the resulting Shift flare even when they followed Ford's fluid and transmission filter change recommendations.

....Rich

Rich,

The small amount of clutch and band material I find. Is very fine like media blasting material. IMO, is normal for my driving habits.

I just like the extra protection. Especialy after I read, so many failures on this board.....:driving:

I would like to have the larger 3qt pan from PML. But $235 is a bit much, IMO. Max of $150 is what I value it at. It is a shelf item.

Latest posts