Trans Fluid Dipstick - TSB #21307

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LILFOOT

Reaction score
So, while googling around last night, i found an interesting TSB. Which may also explain why my Trans feels like it is about to blow.

21307 6R80 TRANSMISSION FLUID USE FOR 2009/2010 IS MERCON LV

SOME 2009 AND EARLY BUILT 2010 F-150, EXPEDITION, NAVIGATOR, EXPLORER, EXPLORER SPORT TRAC AND MOUNTAINEER EQUIPPED WITH

A 6R80 TRANSMISSION MAY HAVE A TRANSMISSION FLUID INDICATOR (DIPSTICK) THAT SPECIFIES FLUID TYPE 'MERCON SP'. THE CORRECT

FLUID FOR THE 2009, 2010 6R80 IS 'MERCON LV'. THE WORKSHOP MANUAL AND OWNER GUIDE SPECIFIES THE CORRECT FLUID 'MERCON LV'.

DISREGARD THE INFORMATION STAMPED ON THE DIPSTICK. THIS TRANSMISSION USES 'MERCON LV' ONLY.

EFFECTIVE DATE: 04/23/2010

Since the Adrenalin is not mentioned in many of the Service Manuals, i assumed that the dipstick was correct in stating that the 6r80 trans takes Mercon SP. I even forced my oil change guy to top me off with SP while my Bulkhead Sleeve was leaking. When i finally got around to fixing the sleeve, you guessed it, i topped it off with SP.

For the last 6 months, my trans has been experiencing the infamous 2-1 Bump, bad flair shifts, and a really weird vibration/slip at maintenance throttle (originally i thought it was the CMP's fluttering). I made an appt. with the dealer for a flush ($250 :banghead:) and hopefully, it is salvageable.

You might want to check with Ford and see if they will replace your transmission if it was damaged by using the wrong fluid that was indicated on the Dip-Stick? I would think they should be responsible because owners followed the erroneous instructions specified on the dip-stick?

...Rich

I think FORD should be responsible for a number of things that were poor designs by them on the Gen 2 Sport Tracs!

Well, about 1000 miles since the flush.

No more flair shifting.

Still get the 2-1 bump, although not as bad.

Fluid temps are staying right around 200.

And I still have a really weird vibration/hum coming from the trans during light maintenance throttle. It only happens in 6th at low speed/rpms. If I turn O/D off, it's fine.

Not gonna worry about it.

I drive it like I own it anyway.

Since the Adrenalin is not mentioned in many of the Service Manuals, i assumed that the dipstick was correct in stating that the 6r80 trans takes Mercon SP. I even forced my oil change guy to top me off with SP while my Bulkhead Sleeve was leaking. When i finally got around to fixing the sleeve, you guessed it, i topped it off with SP.

The Adrenalin isn't mentioned because it's not a separate model. It's merely a cosmetic trim package, like XLT and Limited. So the transmissions in Adrenalins are identical to the ones found in the rest of the Sport Tracs & Explorers.

Latest posts