Tranny

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My 2010 is about to run out of warranty very soon and I have a small problem. When I take off from 'park' in Drive, everything appears to be fine, but if I try and take off in 'third' or 'second' the truck is very slow to respond to the same amount of gas feed. Any one out there having this issue? I'm a new guy on here, so any help would be appreciated, if nothing more than just a 'heads-up' situation. Thanks

I would think that starting in second or third would be slower! Am I missing something also?

Ed

Your transmission is covered for 5yr/60K miles under the Powertrain Warranty. See your Owner Manual or the Ford website. Like JR, I'm wondering why you'd put it in "2" or "3" to start off. A dealership service advisor is going to ask you the same thing.

Second gear to reduce tire spin in wet sand or mud, especially while towing up a launch ramp.

Last edited by a moderator:
DEA, I have put my 2010 in 3rd by mistake before and i know the exact feeling you are describing, completely normal. I panicked for a minute too until i figured out what i did. Jim

Taking off in 2nd or 3rd is no different then a stick shift doing the same thing with the exception of a torque converter... its all gear ratios... in a auto it will build heat up real quick in the trans...not a good thing..

What you are experiencing is normal. 2nd and 3rd do not have the correct ratio for taking off from a dead stop with full power. And I have a suggestion for you in regards to pulling a boat up a slick ramp. Try using your left foot on the brake and work the brake/throttle with both feet. You will be surprised how much difference this will make!! As the rear tires begin to spin use your left foot to slowly apply brakes while using the accelerator. Once you learn how to feather the throttle this way it will help greatly.

2 clicks on the parking break mimic the same effect as 2 foot gas/brake as well. Found that out wheeling with a 2wd explorer.

DEA,

Hopefully you aren't one of those guys that tries to drive an automatic like a standard, and actually takes off from the D2 or D3, then "shifts up" to "D" when moving along. If you do actually do that, well, don't.

Either way, what you describe sounds normal.

TJR

Latest posts