tranny repair or replace

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sefus sefus

Reaction score
So as stated in a recent thread (wanted to start a new one to get some answers), my 01 is flaring so my question is, do I just repair it to have it possibly happen again - knowing its a weak spot, or do I take an 02+ tranny and toss it in there? I'm just guessing that they are the same trannys just different internals for the different years so the size and electronics should match up right? Price wise I was quoted $600 to $1000 for the rebuild of mine, and will start calling tomarrow to find a replacement but I figure it shoudnt be more than a couple hundred for a tranny out of a wrecked rig right. What years explorers/STs were these things in anyway? Thanks for all your help everybody.

-Sefus

$600-$1000 for a trans rebuild sounds suspiciously low to me. I know you want to get the job done as cheaply as possible but you have to be realistic also. I think the minimum you you should be looking at for a decent trans rebuild is around $1500 and possibly more depending on any hard parts it may need. As far as a junk yard trans goes...I would steer clear of one, you have no clue about it's history. That's just my opinion though YMMV.

Its not that low when its me taking the trans out and putting it back in and a very trusted (and yes, a professional) buddy doing the work.

I guess Im just getting hung up on why I couldnt replace it with say an 03 for just the cost of the replacement tranny.

Sefus,

You are not getting it. There have been many members with 02 and later Tracs that have had issues too. It is not only the 2001 Tranny's that exibit problems.

A good rebuild using upgraded parts will shift better, be stronger, and last longer than any '02 and later tranny out there.

Don't fool yourself into thinking otherwise. Some lessons are expensive. Try not to convince yourself otherwise.

Tom

I think the '04 and '05 has the upgraded valve body gasket from the factory.

As Tom said though, rebuild yours with all the upgraded parts. It will be better than a late model from salvage.

Latest posts