Tranny issue!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeremiah Morgan

Reaction score
I guess I should say finally my tranny is acting up...One hell of a 2-3 flare..today it reved to almost 5k before shiffting...well off to the Ford dealer monday!!

You might want to unhook your neg battery cable for about 20 min's to reset the computer. This will cause the computer to relearn the shift points according to your driving style. This will take care of the problem allot of the times. If that doesn't help then take it in to the dealer.

A similar thing happened to me about a year ago. However, in my case it was a downshift

from 3 to 2 and the slipping started. Scared the crap out of me. Within a couple of months,

the blinking light of death ( OD light ) started and eventually cost me $1,500.00 to repair the

valve body.:angry: Good luck to you.:)

Steve

Whenever you get the first sign of a problem, you take it to the shop. Do not wait until you get a blinking OD light.

I purchased an Explorer used, cheap. The OD light was blinking, but I knew the tranny was going bad. The previous owners just drove it with a bad tranny. I got a full rebuild including, new EPC Solenoid, rebuilt valve bady, clutches, and torque converter for less than $1,800.00. The torque converter came apart throwing crap into the valvebody.

Find a tranny shop that is known, don't go running for the dealer. You will end up paying more than you need to pay for the same repair somewhere else.

Tom

p.s. The quote from the dealer, employee cost was over $2,200.00. By going to an independant shop, I saved a minimum of $400.00. And the dealers quote never included a torque connverter.

The reason I am taking it to the dealer..is

A. It is Ford certified for 6yrs 75k miles...So I pay 100$ deductible and the rest is covered and they cover rental car...

B. I am good friends with the service mgr..I run a auto part store and they are one of my accounts..

I agree with Caymen, Take it to a shop and get it checked out. Disconnecting the computer will only erase any error codes and the relearning is just only temporary at best.

If you just had one incident, then you might have gotten an early wake up call that the transmission is developing the 2-3 shift flare. If you catch it eary it can usually be resolved by replacing the valvebody and shift solenoids. That only cost about $500. If you continue to drive it and it wears the clutches and bands due to the slipping, they you are looking at about $2500 for a rebuilt transmission.

...Rich

Latest posts