Tranny flare - 2001 ST

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sefus sefus

Reaction score
So my 01 aparently has more and more gremlins comming out. Its got 63,500 miles and just started having the 2-3 tranny flare issue. My question is, how soon do I need to get this thing worked out? Can I live with it without it hurting anything or should I get it fixed asap?

Besides my rear drum breaks squeaking a bit and my ongoing headlight always on, sometimes on, kind of flickers, wont do the same thing twice problem, I still like this rig.

-Sefus

Get it looked at immediately. Maybe all you need is an adjustment. Waiting could cause more damage.

Personally, I think all gen 1 owners should put away about $50 a month for 60 months to pay off a new tranny when their ST gets to 60k miles and they might start having problems. If your ST goes 100k without issue, then take the money and throw a party. If it doesn't, and many don't, you have cash for a new trans handy.

TJR

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome... Just so I know for sure before I call to yell at somebody (Dealership still doesnt have my CC recall parts ready), Ford knows this is a problem but wont do anything about it, that sound about right?

-Sefus

Get it looked at. It'll probably be either an EPC solenoid problem, valve body gasket problem, or shift solenoid problem based on what people (including myself) have found in the past.

140,000 and no problems. No flare, no ticking, no knocking. It's almost boring. Happily, I like boring.:p

Pretty much right on Sefus. I had the problem also and did have the warranty, but they wanted to charge me $400.00 to do a teardown and then decide whether or not they would cover it. If they would, I'd get the money back minus the deductable, if not, I would be screwed. Far as I'm concerned, a problem like this should be covered, I felt they would try to stick me with the bill, so I didn't let them touch it. Love the Trac, but it's the last Ford I'll own. Good luck and get it checked out SOON!

108,000 (small party) Still too close to 100K LOL

Edit> By the way, I have been waiting on my CC parts since AUGUST 2007.. Dealership keeps puting me off.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts