Trailering a motorcycle (Time sensitive request)

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gerry Mac

Reaction score

Hello ST Friends,

I am delivering a motorcycle a distance of 600km. I am not well enough to ride it and want to trailer it. It is a Victory Judge and weighs in at app 700 lbs. I have a good trailer with 14" wheels and a 2500 lb capacity so I know I can easily pull it with my ST. Loading is not an issue, I can just ramp and drive it on. My trip is all Trans Canada Highway, so reasonably smooth sailing.

Here is my question. What is "proper" way to secure the machine in the trailer. I hear different opinions as to compressing forks, tail compressed, tail loose, kick down, kick up etc.

I really need some info from you guys that do this regularly.

Normally I would enjoy putting my butt in the saddle and riding especially this may be my last trip but my "boys" won't take a ride like that.

I intend to do this on Saturday April 14th so please answer or email me with advice.

Gerry Mac

I can't provide personal experience to this situation, but the times I have transported a motorcyle in the back of a truck, I usually left the stand up and used ratcheting straps equally applied to multiple tie down points.

Took my HD Ultra Classic and all I did was 4 ratchet straps on each corner and sat on the bike and got a little compression front and rear. Then tightened the straps. Simple. Bob

check with your local hd they wil get the staight skinny and if your not well they may be able to assist trailering sometimes can exausting due to the slow speed manuevering

I agree with the others, and have done it countless times for who knows how many miles at this point.

Centered on trailer, 2 ratchet straps to the top triple (so you don't damage the upper controls) pulling equally to the corners of the trailer. Don't over tighten them you don't want to blow out the fork seals, but you don't want it to bounce loose either.

Rear just tight enough to make sure the tire can't possible bounce no matter how big the bump is.. this more than likely isn't necessary but again as long as you don't over tighten it won't hurt.

When I picked up my bike, I threw in some 2x4s and some drywall screws and the drill. What I did was screw down a 2x4 lengthwise along the sides of both tires of the bike to the deck of the trailer. Then I screwed down some shorter pieces across the longer ones in front and behind both wheels of the bike.

I had six ratchet straps (four would have worked fine) and I just ran one at each of the four corners and then put two from the center. I ran them from the bike's triple tree to the far front corners of the trailer and started cinching them down evenly. I did compress the front forks some. Then I did the same thing in the back. I started them from the frame under the seat and pulled them to the back far corners of the trailer. I probably compressed the rear shocks a bit. Not real tight, but tight enough that it wouldn't bounce around. Then I added the two straps from the side under seat frame to the side of the trailer. The kick stand was up. Don't remember if I left the bike in gear or neutral- probably doesn't matter. I think I did also tie the loose ends of the straps to something in case the ratchet mechanism failed.

Anyway, the bike didn't bounce or flop around. It was like it was a part of the trailer. I had no problems towing it, and I felt very safe with the way it was secured.

Good luck!

Oh, and when you get it loaded and tied down, you should know that

:worthless:

Last edited by a moderator:
I trailered a Harley Road King a long distance last fall and did the 2x4 thing, which was a suggestion from my uncle who has trailered bikes several times from Indiana to Sturgis and Daytona. Anyway, I just used the ratchet straps and with the 2x4's I put one on each side of the bike and drilled it to the trailer...bike never moved on my trip.

Latest posts