Trailer Wiring

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm ignorant about wiring, and would like a little help. The wire that feeds the running lights on the 4-flat trailer connector is dead, so I'd like another convenient source for that. The tail light and license plate lights look like good candidates to draw from. Both of them have two wires. Is the black wire to each of these a ground? Using either the tail light or the license plate light, would I need to splice into both the colored wire and the black, or just the colored wire? Please, someone educate me. Thanks.

the trailer harness plugs into the main harness back up under the bed. discunnect the connector, take it to your workbench, and splice a new flat-4-way connector on it... other places to splice may not have the ampacity to handle your trailer lights

FYI, it may not be the connector.

I don't have my owner's manual at hand, but there is a fuse that controls the running lights on the trailer connector. The first time I towed with my Trac, I had brake and blinker, but no running lights. Six months later I finally decided to track down the problem (no pun intended) and it was a fuse.

Check that first!

Latest posts