trailer towing

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a V6 07 with the towing package and it is rated for 7200. Towed 7400 without a problem in the low country. Would have been a little tough in the mountains.

An '02 2wd trac can tow 5250#. When stocking the trailer, pick out light weight gear, and only take what you need... I have towed a TT weighing right at the limit since 2003, and over 15,000 miles w/o issues. You will need an additional trans cooler, especially if you are towing through a lot of hills. Also, sway control and weight distributing bars are a must, and LT tires help A LOT with sway and stability. You should be able to keep your gear at 1000#'s.. Do a search for towing and you'll see a ton of experiences and info...

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
That's not a whole lot of safety margin. Beer, food, beer, fill the water tank, beer, grill and charcoal, and beer, will all add a lot of weight to the trailer.

One thing you can do with a Travel Trailer is don't fill the water tanks until you get where your going. Always empty any tanks before departing also. It will save a bunch of towing weight. Also make sure you load the trailer front heavy to prevent swaying.

it's a 27' but is 30' overall... the tag says 4083 empty, but I'm up near the max of 5250.. one of these days i have to go to the scales and weight it...

Latest posts