Trailer Hitch recommendations

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martin Olson

Reaction score
I am probably going to install a trailer hitch in the very near future. I am probably going to use it for bikes and kayaks, but the game plan is to end up with a decent boat for fishing here in Miami. Pray for me.

Any recommendations on aftermarket hitches to by or not buy?

Thanks in advance.

Cyberwiz64

I have a Reese... fits nice and tucks up under...

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the recommendations. I am aiming for something around 20 open fisherman for bays and near shore. Is anyone using their Sport Trac to pull a boat this size? Problems, no problems, doable, not doable...

Let me know.

Thank you.

Curt hitches come in colors. They are powder coated.

They look nice when they match the bumper color.

20 foot boat should be under 5000 lbs, depending if live wells are full of water or not. Your SportTrac should be able to handle a boat that size, provided the trailer has surge brakes.

Always weigh the load, and factor in full fuel tanks, live wells, bait, passengers, barley pops, etc.

Make sure the truck brakes (including parking) are inspected and 100% before launching the boat. I've seen some trucks dragged into the ocean (on steep ramps at low tide) back in New England when the brakes let go.

As for the hitch, x2 on a Curt. Mine is tucked up nicely.

There is a marina near my home and my brother-in-law saw a guy forget to set the parking brake while launching his boat. He put a 10 week old King Ranch in about 16 feet of salt water. Not only do you feel stupid, the marina is pretty busy so you know your stunt will be on YouTube in a few hours.

Latest posts