Trailer break control-Where are the wires??

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I cannot see where the wires are for attaching a trailer break control box. I have an 07 Ltd Edition and when I crawl under the dash with a flashlight I cannot see them anywhere. Does anyone know where they are tucked?

And..can I use the wiring harness for the Ford Explorer on my Sport Trac??

Thanks in advance for your help/input.

Bruce

Hey Gavin,

I was told most Ford trucks have such a thing in the glove box. Looks like the previous owners kept it. Do you know if I need this plug or could I just put on a break control wiring harness? (There is one for 15.00 at the auto supply shop for an Explorer. Not sure if they will be compatible.)

And I still cannot see where the wires are tucked?!

On my 07, the wiring plug was under the dash on the right of the steering column (from the driver's seat perspective). Seems like it was plugged into a dummy end point and I had to unplug it there, then was able to plug in my controller. Was very easy.

Ok. I'll have a look there. Does anyone know if I require some special adaptor to accommodate the wiring harness? Ford told me there was no after market piece and it was gong to be 53.00. But a local auto parts pulled out a Break Control O.E.M. Wiring Harness kit for a Ford Explorer and said it should be all I need. They know nothing about this "special" adaptor that Ford refers to. Any information from those of you who have installed break controls in your Tracs would be much appreciated.

The factory adapter is basically a plug with a few pigtail wires comintg out of it. It is nothing amazing. I suspect the Explorer adapter is probably the same thing, as is the aftermarket one from the parts store.

Alternatively, you could cut the plug off your truck and hardwire it into the harness, but I would hate to do that. Get the other side of the plug and just plug in the controller.

You might have someone here sell you their factory connector for a few bucks (or they might just give it to you). You could post a request in the Swap and Sell forum.

On my '09, it was not there. After 3 hrs of searching, the dealer was called and they told the hitch shop that Ford deleted it since "Nobody ever uses it".

WTF???

On my '09, it was not there. After 3 hrs of searching, the dealer was called and they told the hitch shop that Ford deleted it since "Nobody ever uses it".

WTF???

I will see if I can get a pic in a little while of the underside of my dash and where it plugs in. I don't remember any special plugs - seems like the controller plug went right into the factory pigtail. 2 screws later, and I had it mounted.

Here is a scan of the instructions that came with my pigtail. Should help you locate the plug anyways.

When it opens you should be able to righ click on in, rotate it counter clockwise, and use the zoom options at the top to make the text readable.

This is for my '07 but I don't know if things changed over the years or not. It might have only been prewired for it too if you had the Class III hitch which also has the 7 pin connector on the back of the ST. Which hitch do you have?

The harness P/N looks like it was 6l2t-14a348-a

Last edited by a moderator:
That is it. Wiring is where it shows in that document. I couldn't get a decent picture from the phone for under the dash.

Now that I see that, I believe there was a pigtail that I had to wire to the controller, but I think my controller came with it, so that is why I didn't have to purchase one separate. Here is one on Amazon for less than $15.

Found it! You guys rock. I so appreciate all your help. Eventually, a guy in the service dept. of our local Ford dealership crawled underneath and located the plug tucked way up under the dash, left of the steering column, sort of just above where the emergency brake is located. I then cut the wires off my old brake control box and hard wired it to the Ford Explorer wires I bought, which then fit nicely into the mystery plug.

Again, many thanks guys.

Latest posts