Trailer brakes w/ class III/IV hitch?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich Erickson

Reaction score
When the Ford factory class III/IV hitch is present, is the ST capable of controlling trailer brakes (7-pin connector)? Or do additional equipment/connections need to be made to enable trailer brake control?

Thx!

You would still need to add a brake controller. If I'm not mistaken, the wiring is there from the factory, just not the actual controller unit.

Wiring connector for the controller was included in the glovebox friom the factory. Just hook the connector to the controller and plug it in!

The only thing that's missing from the Ford factory class III/IV hitch is the Brake controller. The adapter should have been either in your glove box, in the passenger side door panel or possibly under the seat. The adapter plugs in under the dash and wires directly to the brake controller. I have wiring instructions in my library if needed, it's the same no matter what brand brake controller you use.

Towing laws vary somewhat by state, some require brakes for trailers as low as 1200 lb., but everyone requires trailer brakes once you're over 2000 lb. Check the towing laws where you live.