Tragedy at Virginia Tech

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomT

Reaction score
Death toll now at 29 and counting. What's this country coming to?

My condolences to the families.

(Coastiejoe beat me to it )

Last edited by a moderator:
One of my good friends goes there. I am happy hes alright but its just unreal. I go to UMD and to think that this could happen on a college campus is scary....I am speechless too.

A senseless act of violence to a problem that, in all likelihood, was temporary. My heart goes out to the students, parents, families and friends.

I'm sitting in my Apartment at Washington State University in shock. 31 one now dead and the gunman. This is just crazy. I was just on campus for 3 hours and I cant even imagine something like that happening here.

and to think that this could happen on a college campus is scary

Any campus where I have taken classes seems to be way lax in the security area. Anybody can walk into any buildings at any time. Society is focusing so much on highschool shootings, that they made highschools into super max prisons. I mean on acollege campus, people who do not even attend the college can enter any building, except maybe dorms where you have to swipea card, but as far as buildings where classes are being taught, those are come and go as you please type areas.

Fmarano,

I think I understand your point.

But we can't security harden every public and private place.

Yes, it is tragic when even one innocent person is killed randomly by someone with issues like this.

But I for one don't want to become a police state with metal detectors everywhere. Sure, it's easy for me to say this because I haven't lost anyone personally to senseless violence like this, but I am glad to not have to be searched as I walk on a campus, or go through metal detectors, etc.

TJR

Notice that planned mass shootings tend to occur where people are unlikely or not allowed to have guns.

I don't mean to turn this into a gun control discussion, but there will no doubt be calls for banning guns again. That horse left the barn in the USA over 200 years ago though and isn't going back in.

I'm not saying everyone needs to be armed but if 2 or 3 people, just 10% of the victims, had been carrying and could shoot back, then many lives could have been saved.

I'm normally carrying concealed and no one would ever guess, which is how I like it. And it's something I never thought of until a few years ago when some whack-job in Pittsburgh woke up one day and decided it was his day to shoot Jews and immigrants. I'm neither, but one place where he killed some people was WAYYYY too close for comfort. If it ever happens again, I'm shooting back.

My question is why the campus police treated the first shoolting as an isolated insident? That was sooooo Stupid, and that kind of behavior has got to stop. I've heard on Fos News that if the campus was put on lock / shut down immediately after the first shooting that lives would have been saved. :(

Also, if President Bush takes quicker action on this than he has on Katrina, shame on him. I am not making light of the tragedy today, but Katrina victims still need help. Not enough was done soon enough. :angry:

Campus Police are basically just security guards. They typically are just there to keep the kids from parking on the lawn and having loud parties.

I'm curious...what can the President do about something like this? The deed is done and the perpetrator is dead. Even if he wasn't dead, this was VA State land, not Federal, so the Feds wouldn't have jurisdiction unless they decided some civil rights violation occurred.

My question is why the campus police treated the first shoolting as an isolated insident? That was sooooo Stupid, and that kind of behavior has got to stop. I've heard on Fos News that if the campus was put on lock / shut down immediately after the first shooting that lives would have been saved.

I work at a University. Shutting down an entire University is not an easy task. Steps probably should have been taken but it's way to easy to say that after the fact. Probably would have not made a difference. What you are talking about would require a LOT of manpower. Most universities just are not prepared for that kind of situation.

I'm not saying everyone needs to be armed but if 2 or 3 people, just 10% of the victims, had been carrying and could shoot back, then many lives could have been saved.

I'm not for carrying weapons on a University just because of one isolated incident. More police protection would be nice but it's only going to drive up the cost of education even more.

No way.

I carry a 45 or a 380 when I feel it necessary, but on a school campus there is no way in hell students should have guns.

Imagine the shooting that would take place over girlfriend/ boyfriend breakups???

Last edited by a moderator:
VA Tech is like a small city. It's imposiible to shut it all down in a couple of hours. Also, Campus Police there are actually pretty good at what they do.

I guess it hit a little too close to home this time.

God be with them.

Latest posts