Trac won't start, need your thoughts!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marsha Walker

Reaction score
Hi everyone! The old trusty trac won't start. I moved it last night so that I could wash it, when I went out this morning it wouldn't start. Clicking at the key. Seems to have power. I pulled the battery and had Local auto parts store check it and it tested at 94%. I put it back in and it still won't start. Just clicking engines not turning over. Any thoughts? Much appreciated! 01 with 233k

Does it crank? If so, your inertia switch nigh have tripped, it it is time for a new fuel pump. Common problem . Try turning the key on, then off, then on several times. The pump motor might be on a dead spot .

Marsha, you've got a No Crank No Start problem. Have a look at your battery connections, especially hot wire to the starter. There's a lot of good videos to help you step through it. You have an electrical problem in my opinion - starter solenoid or starter motor provided your battery is really OK.

Thanks Vic! I am tempted to go get a new battery anyway. I figured out its 3 years old. What about tapping on the starter with a hammer?

If the did a true load test, 94% is fine. Check your connections and ground. Turn on headlights to high beam. Are they bright? If so., the starter and/or solenoid could be bad or have a bad connection. If lights are dim or off, then check grounds and wires to power distribution box

I've heard of tapping on starter to unstick a balky solenoid, but have never done it myself. What do headlights look like when you turn them on? Make sure you've got good connection to starter - I'd disconnect battery first, then undo/clean hot wire connection to starter solenoid. Have you tried jump starting yet?

Tried tapping on the starter and nothing. Tried a jump pack and nothing but not certain it was charged. I have a charger. My dad is telling me to put a trickle charge on it for 24 hours and try it. Ugh...

Like Holleyman says, try starting it with the shifter in different gears in case your nuetral safety switch has moved on the steering column. I had a no start last month because connector to fuel pump inertia switch was cracked, but engine would turn over for that problem. :driving:

Have you tried to jump start it? If it will not jump start, then it is probably NOT the battery.

Sounds like bad battery connection or possibly bad cables. If that checks out OK, then your Starter/Solenoid might be bad.

...Rich

I had a bad cable to starter, on another vehicle one time. Drove me nuts' trouble shooting.

I also had another with a shorted battery. It showed good an a voltmeter. But wouldnot jump start.

Thanks again everybody. I put a battery charger on it today on a 2 Amp setting for about 10 hours and it still wouldn't start. I forgot to try it in neutral will do that and update you. Thanks for all your thoughts I have a bad feeling it's going to be the starter solenoid. I've got a top-end oil leak and apparently the oil is dripping down onto the starter. Had a friend crawl under and take a look. Any thoughts on cost to replace a starter and can the solenoid be replaced separately? Thanks

Dont just try neutral, try to hold the key in start position and slide thru all the gear positions in case your neutral switch is getting finicky. Do you have your foot on the brake pedal when trying? I believe that is for getting it out of park though, then theres the chip in the ignition key, it isnt a new key you just had cut. :supercool:

Just a cursory search shows complete starters are less than $100, so I wouldn't bother trying to put a new solenoid on a 15 y.o. starter. I've never replaced one myself on a Explorer V6 but looking at DIY videos it doesn't look that hard. If you paid a shop to do it I'm guessing they'd charge you one hour of shop time plus parts, say $250-300 rolled up.

Redranger7, not a new key, the same one I have been using for 14 years. I am not sure I follow you on the "start position"? Do you mean all the way forward while it is clicking? Foot on the brake to get it in gear, yes. My biggest problem with the fix is I can't tow it. Can't get a truck to it where it died! Just glad it is in my back yard so I don't have to do it right away. Good timing on my purchase of a new 16 Explorer! I want to keep her rolling to keep miles off of the new one for as long as I can but I am starting to regret that thought.... I did talk to someone today who said they would change it out for $100 and I buy the starter so I will probably take them up on that! Any kind of a brand I should look for or stay away from??? Thanks again!

RockAuto has a good selection of new or remanufactured starters in the $100-150 range - Motorcraft, AC Delco, Denso. Any of those would have to be shipped in of course. Why not just go down to your local NAPA, O'Reilly, AutoZone store? Any of those will sell you the part with a warranty.

Latest posts