TRAC IS GOING UP FOR SALE

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Wood

Reaction score
So I decided to sale my 2002 ST on sunday to buy a brand new fully load one guess what monday morning tranny goes out put it in the shop $2900 so I do some research on the Explorer tranny problem and OMFG what POS they seem to be i was even reading that the new ones are kinda of having the same issues what kinda of crap is ford putting out Nissan Titan or Toyota Tundra here I come.:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

i have a 2002 trac w/ 165k on it ... still runs like the day i got it .. of course i take care of it as if it was a porsche (which i hope to own some day) .. i guess you can always get a bad one, but i wouldn't trade my trac in for anything ... and def do not like the styling of the new ones compared to the older style (although the rear independent suspension and 4 wheel disc brakes are a huge improvement) ... soory about your luck :(

Sorry to here that. I guess I am one of the lucky ones. I have an o1 ST with 69,000 miles on it, that I bought new in July 2000. So far I have no major problems other than the 4 x4 switch going out. I still have the original shocks, battery and brakes. I just had it serviced and had to have the serpentine belt replaced. They said the brakes are fine, but I need to replace a bearing or something like that on the 4 wheel drive that is leaking {I got it written down} and radiator flush and tranny flush, but they can wait a month or 2. I'll get them done before winter and a new battery. In all the vehicles I have owned, the ST has caused me the least problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
01 4x2 w/95k+ and no repairs yet other than the power lock on the drivers door and the dpfe sensor; only regular maintenance items (wheel bearings, brakes, oil changes, fuel filter, tranny flushes, radiator flush)

Mine has towed, been in the mud, and driven alot for short trips. I will keep it until it falls apart.

20 guys can come on this site and sing the praises of their high mileage ST and its quality...

...but that doesn't change the fact that there is still that 1 guy in 20 (or whatever the alarming ratio is) that has had tranny problems, and it just isn't acceptable.

Ford knows the tranny in the Gen 1 was crap, and they seem to not be doing much better in the Gen 2.

TJR

I think it is a higher percentage than 1 in 20 TJR. I know I am the 1 in 20.

When I first saw the gen 2 st, I wanted one, but after driving it and hearing about all the problems with them, I changed my mind. Not worth the money to me. I'm driving my ST to the ground, and moving on to something else. Maybe the Ford Raptor?!?!

Dune,

Studies and conservative estimtes put it at 1 in 5 '04 Explorer/ST/Mountaineer had premature (less than 36k miles) transmission problems.

It doesn't take much Google searching to find lemon law and auto complaint sites about the Explorer-platform trannies. Yeah, many here will say that those are the exceptions...but I say "where there is smoke..."

TJR

wow,

as mentioned in the past, my 04 tranny was repaired under warranty at 30K miles.

now the 07, with no "real" fix :(

please don't make a statement about your desire for toy, hon, or niss. :p

Dub,

Have you ever performed regular maintenance on your tranny?

put it in the shop $2900

A tranny rebuild should never cost that much. You are getting screwed out of $1,100 plus dollars above what it should cost.

Tom

No problems at all with my 02 and I'm not about to get rid of it. That being said, I wouldn't touch an 07 or 08 Trac with a 10' pole.

WC

no tranny problems with my '05, but my have major issues with:

heated seats turning on by themselves or sometimes at engine start up.

and my transfer case has a banging issue when i step on the geas when in 4x4 hi. and the dealer saying that the banging and shaking of the truck is NOT normal, but they cant find the problem. So they just tell my the system is operating within specs.

Looking at the New Frontier, myself.

WC. If I could get one for the price I paid for mine ($19,000) I would do it but that's not likely and the Trac seems to have gone downhill through the years. At least based on what I read. Also my Trac has been almost perfect and I'm not going to take a chance on getting one with problems.

I'm at 138,XXX KMs and so far no Tranny issues. Other things are starting to fall apart, but those are the more "replaceable" parts that you'd expect to have to repair at 5 years old. I bought it at 116,XXX km. I guess I'm out of the woods for EARLY tranny problems, but I watch that O/D light very closley just incase.

Tom T:

I know what you mean about the Gen 2 Tracs. Altho I like the styling of them, there are a lot of members on this forum who post about some pretty serious problems that definitely made me think twice about picking one up. I'm glad I went with a 2003, but would have prefered an '04 or better yet, an '05

Frank Q

:lol: I cant help but laugh at the ghost in your heated seats. I know the feeling of realizing the heat is on and not having turned it on. My SAAB had the switch in the most inconvenient location.

shaun

well i mean it sux in the summer!!!!!

but two weeks ago i died when one of the guys i car pool with was all Fidgety, and then all of sudden he goes, :eek: " MY ASS IS ON FIRE!" I had to pull over because i was crying. he was like one of those mexican jumping beans.....

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm one of those 1 in 5 people who have had tranny problems, and yes, my Trac had all it's servicing done on schedule. And I don't like the new generation of Trac's either...

Latest posts