Trac is dead Need HELP

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Johnson 2

Reaction score
Went to store when i came out the trac would not start. I got a jump but then it died less than 5 min later. So i thought it would be the alternator but had it tested at AutoZone and it is fine. Does anyone have any ideas. Please help.:(

just the alternator. My trac is sitting in a publix supermarket parking lot. I just came home from having abdominal surgery this morning and went to get my prescription fill.

until the alternator is dead, then you loose both. Auto Zone once told me the alt. was fine and needless to say, I never made it home!! They usually just check for voltage but make sure they check the amperage its putting out.

Sondra

another thing i forgot to mention is that when i jumped it while it was idleing in park my idiot lights were flashing and it said i was going 25 mph

is it in the publix on fruitville ? if so i am going to get me some parts :lol: j/k

my thoughts, battery. the florida heat will do them in. but you are correct that it should have run longer on the alt. try the battery.

not a good thing after your surgery, hope you get it fixed.

good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
Replace the battery and then get the alt tested....

They BOTH need each other to run properly....

IF the battery is so dead or shorted it will drain what the alt is putting out and the truck will not run...

Todd Z

even if battery is bad shouldn't it still run on alt alone

Older cars.....yes

But these new ones with the computers, sensors, etc, I don't think they will continue to run without the battery. If a battery is bad, you could burn out the alt fairly easy since it will try to run non-stop trying to charge the battery. I've lost a few alt's in the past which were due to a bad battery.

Since you said you could jump start it and it ran for a short time, I think there is a good chance you have a bad cell and the remaining ones are draining into the bad one. Or there is just an internal short within the battery.

Throw a battery in that bad boy - just had the same issue but even worse - it would not even take a jump. New battery, good to go.

I am with the others, replace the battery. I believe you are going to find it is shorted and even when the vehicle is running the defective battery is putting a HUGE load on the alternator.

The alternator is not a common failure in the Trac, it happens, but at a much less rate then the failure of the battery.

Latest posts