Trac in shop pt. 2

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D Knx

Reaction score
Noticed over the weekend the same problem w/ my ST that Brian H. and tnsportrac mentioned. My tranny is flaring between 1-2 and again between 2-3, so I dropped it off at the dealers this morning.

Thanks to those threads I have some idea as to what may need to be done,a valve body kit or soleniod replaced. Of course that may be a best case scenario if there is a tranny problem.

I'm wondering could my mod(s) have caused this issue, I've been running my 87 oct performance program for awhile and didn't notice anything unusual until this w/e. I flashed back to stock before driving to the dealership, but with the aftermarket intake and exhaust I hope they don't try to make an issue out of trying to gain better performance as the culprit.

Any insights are much appreciated, I'm at work now so I won't be able to check this thread out until about 3pm, probably won't hear anything from the dealer until just about time for them to close at which point I'll post what they say for additional feedback. Thanks all!

D- :(

Deryck,

I took my 04 in at 12K just for the tranny additive and told them at the time that I thought I had felt a slip or two. They replaced the EPC and never made mention of the intake or exhaust. Was not noted on the paperwork either. Unfortunately, it is starting to do it again @ 24K.

grump

Well, just got the call from the dealer and they said another issue, which I didn't mention earlier was solved - the power steering pump is bad - she was handling like a battle tank in close quarters! Thanks to you folks chimming in on others' threads I kinda suspected that needed to be looked into also.

They've yet to look at the tranny. Grump, I'm at 17.6k, so it would be nice if using an additive would solve the issue, but I suspect it's going to take more than that. They are suppose to get back with me around 3pm so we'll see.

D-

My trac makes a grinding noise like you would hear when the truck is low on power steering fluid, and it is especially bad when in reverse for some reason. I need to get her in to get checked out, only 9k on her. I have a feeling the power steering is going out. My brother in law said something about a front pump on the transmission, but that was all greek to me.

i brought my 02 in today to have the tranny looked at and of course to my luck all the mechanics are on strike :angry:. So i will have to bring it to another ford dealership for repair, but they said nothing about my bigger tires. I dont think they can say much because this has been a problem on so many sporttracs it should have been some kind of recall... O-well that is what ESP is for, gotta love extended warantee

Latest posts