Trac at the dealer.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gavin Allan

Reaction score
On the way to picking up my wife's car for the 3rd time leaky tire repair that they still can't fix, the Check Engine light came on in my 'Trac last night. After posting bail for her car, we turned around and took the Trac to the Ford dealer and left it there. Guess we will see what Santa brings...

Service writer called. Code pulled that indicated cam sensor failure. Reset code and everything is OK. Checked wiring, tested sensor, everything checks out OK. Says he doesn't know what to fix. Could be loose connection, bad sensor, or complete timing chain/camshaft failure. Advises me to keep driving it to see if it comes back.

ARRRGGGGHH!!! :angry:

I hate these intermittent problems that they cannot fix!!!!

Wife's new Cadillac has been back to the dealer three times to repair the leaky tire that loses 15 psi each week, and they still cannot find a leak. At least they got the TPS system to read the proper tire locations on the 3rd visit...

Fricking vehicles...

My OEM battery is now 4 years and 4 months old. QuickLane tested it a few weeks ago and said it was doing fine. Anyone think my battery could be on the way out, causing the code to be thrown? It was pretty cool last night and it sat out all day....

I vote no on the battery.

On that Cadillac, are the rims chromed aluminum? The chrome can sometimes separate from the base and air can leak from between the two (this may be a Mercedes only "feature").

This may seem unsophisticated, but they, or you, could submerge the entire wheel in water and look for bubbles.

Gavin,

If the rims are cast aluminum. It has happened that, some wheels come too porous. I read an article in popular mechanics, a few years ago about this. For rims out of warranty. The fix was to clean or bead blast the inside. Then give the inside surface a clear coat finnish. I think poly-eurathane was recomended.

BTW: Finally got the Cadillac tire leak fixed. Dicked around with the GM dealer 3 times and also filed for assistance from Cadillac Customer Assistance. No help there- so I took the car down to the local Ford dealer Quick Lane. They found the leak in less than 20 minutes. Rim leak- put some rim sealer on it and fixed it! $20. :banana:

Wow, did you follow up with the GM dealer to let them know how incompetent they are?

Latest posts