TPMS question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Krusich

Reaction score
I am replacing my OEM 18" aluminum wheels on my 07 Limited. I cant afford the expense of new tire pressure sensors.

Does anyone know if the dash tire pressure warning light will trigger if I install wheels without pressure monitors? If the light comes on is there an easy remedy?

Yes the dash light and a beep will let you know the TPM's are no longer there. I have a set of wheels & snow tires without the TPM but my summer rims & tires are stacked right next to my Trac in the garage. Each night the monitor in the vehicle resets but about 15 miles down the road my tire monitor wakes up when it realizes the TPM rims are not on the Trac! For the rest of the day I have to push the "reset" button on the dash to get the warning off of the on board monitor and the low tire indicator first flashes , then finally just glows until the truck is parked. I am always glad when nice weather arrives and the rims with the TPM's are back where they belong! :driving:

Thanks....but not what I wanted to hear. What a nuisance. Maybe I am going to have to spend a little more $ and get new straps and install monitors on new rims.

Thanks again.

Thoughts ...

Would it be irresponsible to pull the fuse (would other systems not function)?

Maybe install a switch to the system between the fuse and the unit.

I consider that but with wiring harnesses, circuit boards, etc it sounds like it could be a nightmare! Might be easier to remove the speedo console and take out the bulb.

i believe you can get aftermarket tpms replacements that are actually the valve stem assembly instead of the band.They should be available from a bennett auto supply or another large auto parts chain.I deal with a fleet of ford f-150's at work and we get them sometimes to replace the band style.They are not too pricey.

I bought new tires @ discount tire 2 weeks ago. They have valve stem type replacments. That work with Ford systems.

I have a Gen1, so I was just curious.

Check online at Ebay. They have a lot of Tire Pressure Monitor Sensors available for all models of vehicles. Some are OEM and some are aftermarket replacements. The main thing about the different brands is the Signal Frequency they use. Some car makers use only one frequency transmitter, while some car makers will make several different frequencies TPMS units? So, you need to check the frequency of your existing TPMS units to know which is a compatible TPMS unit.

The TPMS units for my Mercedes are $175 each from the dealer !!! I found a full set of 4 for $160

...Rich

Latest posts