Toyota quickens its quest to unseat GM

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
darin, i think we are on the same page. i don't know if you saw my post about the colorado i put in my fleet. the truck is a HUGE disappointment ! the quality is crap and i am surprised chevy had the balls to put out this inferior product. i wen't with the chevy because of the huge fleet discount they were providing. my bag for not researching the truck before i went thru with it. on the other hand as you know my toyota matrix fleet is holding up very well after 1 plus years of service, and these are fleet vehicles that are taking a beating. i also just added a scion XB, that i just love. for 15k, it is a very impressive well built vehicle. it is perfect for the type of biz im in and i am growing fond of driving it. who cares about the comments on looks, it works ! for someone that is looking for an economical and quality built family vehicle, the xb would be great. other than the corvette , gm has nothing to offer !

don't want to start a war, but it's just my opinion.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE !! :D

At one time, GM and Toyota were making cars for each other. They even own a plant together.

Die, Toyota, Die.

Tom

Caymen: they still do. The Pontiac Vibe is the same vehicle as my Toyota Matrix, except with a Pontiac emblem on the front (well and the ugly body cladding on the sides).

The article said Toyota is on its 4th consecutive year of making record profits. I can see why after driving one of their products for the past 30 months. Very dependable and fuel efficient car.

Last edited by a moderator:
No way Toyota would buy old GM plants. GM probably has let their plants go to heck and not maintained them. Also, the old plants were designed for lots of parts inventory and lots of offline rework areas. New plants operate just in time and assume zero defects.

The old plants are way too ineffecient to be useful for Toyota.

Good point Gavin. The properties would have to be totally remodeled to meet the current needs. Except maybe the Saturn plant in TN. Very modern

My thoughts are that most cities/states will now just about give them property just to get the jobs and tax base. The state officials tried it here in KY and were railroading the locals to sell to them so they could lure a plant in. Got caught and the plant went elsewhere

Gavin: I agree with your point. I took a tour of the GM plant in OKC years ago, and even then it was not state-of-the-art. The assembly line wound all over the place, and there were many places along the assembly line where 'failed' parts were stacked up. I swore to myself then I'd never buy a GM product.

I just saw a program on Speed Channel, I think it was a Car & Driver show, where they were comparing the mid size trucks. The Colorado came in last for performance & finish.

Their winner???

The Honda Ridgeline... yuck!

Krash they just did a write up in Truck Trend about 4 door pickups. They ranked the Ridgeline first followed by the Nissan Frontier, then the Toyota Tacoma, in fourth was the Dakota and last place went to the Colorado. Unfortunately a Sport Trac wasn't in the heap because Ford declined to participate saying they do not have an '06 Sport Trac model and the '07 wasn't ready for release yet.

i dont mind at all, the truck is making me money for my car payments. just did a job today, made 145 dollars. but its all in the eye of the beholder. i sold my ST for this, and my bro has the 05 adrenalin, i get to drive his truck time to time. i miss it, but the ST $438 to chevy's $350 car payment was my 1st choice of switchn.

Considering my Trac about killed me a dozen times... I wouldn't care if Ford followed GM...

I love my Toyota (so far)!

BTW: I vowed never to but another Ford after my last ST... total lack of quality.

Ahh Josh, I remember when you were knocking me for saying that and now here we are, me in another Ford and you in a Toyota. Funny how that worked out. lol.

Latest posts