Towing

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Thinking of getting a boat in the next little while. Prolly just going to be a 19ft bayliner open bow. As far as weight I'm guessing we'll keep it below 3,500 total weight. I have read tons of threads on towing but am to the point my head is spinning. Please let me know if I'm thinkin correct. PS: I have a 2004 4.0 v6 4wd trac.

Tranny cooler: Is it necessary. From what I've read the 4x4's have a bigger pan and gen 1's already have a factory cooler. Obviously it wouldnt hurt but I dont really have the know-how to install one and if it really wont make a huge difference I'd like to avoid the hassle/expense. If it is necessary what model should i look at? PS: I do plan on adding a drain plug to drain the pan once in a while.

Brake controller: I thought I read that the gen 1's didnt come wired but i've got a 7-pin plug. Is it correct that if wired I should find a connector somewhere up front? Again, any recommended models?

Tranny cooler maybe if you are going to be towing long distances. No real need for a brake controller. I'd say just make sure your shocks aren't factory and make sure that you keep your fluids (brake,oil,transmission) fresh and at the proper level and servicing at the right intervals.

Last edited by a moderator:
they all have tranny coolers, but an aux won't hurt... change your fluid once a year.. a boat should have surge brakes, so you shouldn't need a controller...

i tow a 27 ft camper 5300 lbs. i have put a brake controller and air shocks. one day ima put a larger cooler with a fan and a larger tranny pan. the trucks pulls with no problem. i wouldnt worry bout ur truck jayrat