Towing with Overdrive

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Castineira

Reaction score
Hi all, so I've been.towing my new to me boat and the message the other day got me thinking. It is a small 16 footer and the package may weigh 1000 pounds at most. I tow on mostly flat roads, I've been lookin at the tach and I run the same RPM as I usually do and I don't seem to be "hunting" for a gear. My question is this sould I be turning off my O/D to tow this thing. Thanks everybody.

CHRIS

some will say as long as the tranny is not hunting for a gear, you're ok, some will say not to tow as you do, I would turn OD off just from personal experience and peace of mind, you are less likely to do any damage to the tranny with the OD off when towing, even 1000 lbs.

I towed my 6x12 enclosed trailer loaded down cross country through the mountains from VA to CA with OD on.. they only time I switched it off was the real bad grades in the mountains.

I regularlly tow my boat (approx 1500lbs) with the OD on.

I do however change my trans fluid regularly.

Have the 6 cyl 2007. Just towed my 2000 lb boat 400 miles. Never touched the OD button, but its flat in Florida. 70 mph on the interstate with no problem and averaged 14.5 mpg. Usually get about 22 without the boat.

I have towed my 17ft runabout for 7+ years with my '01. I live in AZ where it is HOT. I ALWAYS tow with the OD off and I still have had my tranny rebuilt...twice. I have only 85K on it. They replaced the valve body with a NEW one last time...

I was always told ,& read that to tow , to turn the OD off. Last truck I had was a 2000 Blazer so I towed the boat- popup with the OD off. I had to replace the tranny & when I brought it to shop they asked bout my driving habbits & if I towed with the vehicle. After discussing what I just stated he told me towing with the OD off all the time at highway speeds just burned up the transmission. So now I turn it off until I get up to speed then turn it back on until I start doing steep grades. Once the new tranny went into the Blazer , I turned it in & bought the ST. The Blazer was an abortion from day one. I never put so much money into a vehicle that I had bought as new as I did the blazer, Both front wheel bearing for a 4x4 , rear wiper motor, transmission, fuel pump assembly, new dash cluster -all the gauges, + all the regular matainence. Believe I'm not hard on vehicles at all. In fact i babied that truck & all the vehicles I owned , but man look at that blazer the wrong way & something else would fall apart on it.

So now i have the St & love the truck. After getting the TSB for the 07 trac its been GREAT. Believe me when I first got it a & it started bumbing & hesitating , I was thinking , great I just bought another new problem vehicle. But nows Its all good:D

Latest posts