Towing with a Dolly

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean M 2

Reaction score
Hey guys, tomorrow I will be renting a tow dolly and towing a 1983 Chevrolet Suburban 4x4 manual transmission for a distance of about 150 miles. I'm pretty sure the ST is up to the task but I one question that hopefully someone will know the answer to. I was wondering if I would be doing any damage to the Suburban towing it with the back wheels on the ground. Being that it is a manual transmission I think I'm safe if I just put it in both the gear shift and transfer case in neutral. Does this sound about right? As always thanks guys

As long as it is in neutral, should be safe. If you have any doubts, pop the driveshaft off just to be sure.

I hope you aren't planning on going to U-Haul to rent a tow dolly, last I knew, they won't rent out to "Explorers".

Your good, put the shifter in Neutral.

Two things, DO NOT BACK UP, it can be done but it is very difficult to say the very least. You will have three pivot points behind you, it makes it tuff to back up.

Also, pull the coil wire or some other item so that the vehicle can not start. Why,,, just in case the shifer moves into gear there will be no way for it to start.

Yes, with the key in the off position you should have no issues, but I have seen many THINK the key was off and then the vhicle was chasing them down the road...

Even though the vehicle is in neutral the driveline is still connected to some degree.

When you backup with a dolly; pull forward after. when you back up, you may think the vehicle is still in line with the dolly ramps, but odds are it isn't. I ripped the front facia off a parts car doing that once.... made for a rough ride down.

Latest posts